Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Why doesnt the smart filter mask move with the smart object?

Aug 9, 2012 2:02 PM

OMG Why doesnt the smart filter mask move with the smart object?  Yikes Way PITA

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 9, 2012 2:46 PM   in reply to Steve Zeeeee

Are you talking about when transforming the smart object and the smart filter mask doesn't transform along with the smart object?

If that's the case you can transform the smart object and then click on the filter mask and choose Edit>Transform>Again.

What version of photoshop?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 3:36 PM   in reply to Steve Zeeeee

In what context does the smart filter mask not move with the smart object besides the above?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 4:34 PM   in reply to R_Kelly

Move Tool is OK for moving Smart Object - its Smart Filters Mask will be correctly moved - but there are problems with Transforms applied to Smart Objects. See:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1047269?tstart=0

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1047320?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 6:29 PM   in reply to Steve Zeeeee

If your just moving the smart object with the move tool wthout resizing, the smart filter mask should follow.

It's when you start resizing smart objects that some kind of workaround is called for.

I don't why they were implemented that way, but it would interesting to find out the reason.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 6:46 PM   in reply to R_Kelly

R_Kelly wrote:

If your just moving the smart object with the move tool wthout resizing, the smart filter mask should follow.

It's when you start resizing smart objects that some kind of workaround is called for.

I don't why they were implemented that way, but it would interesting to find out the reason.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Smart Filters Mask fails to be transformed (see my first link above) because of whatever is preventing a repeat transform following a transform applied to a Smart Object (see my second link above). Could be something as basic as a misplaced zero in a transformation matrix causing a division by zero error, perhaps.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 7:02 PM   in reply to conroy

Now that seems to be a definite bug in photoshop cs6. It does work in cs5.

In versions cs3-cs5 one could transform the smart object, then select the smart filter mask and hit Shift+Ctrl+T (Cmd+Shift+T)

and the last transform would apply to the smart filter mask, but that doesn't work in photoshop cs6 as you pointed out in another post.

In fact the transform again menu item is greyed out.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 7:10 PM   in reply to R_Kelly

Yep, I just checked CS5.1 on OS X 10.6.8, and there is no failure to do a repeat transform after transforming a Smart Object. We have a new bug in CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 7:43 PM   in reply to conroy

WTF? I went back to CS6, performed a transform on a SO with a Smart Filters Mask then targeted the mask and looked at the menu - "Again" was available. And it worked this time! Although, I didn't check the accuracy of the result.

So I created another file in CS6 with a Smart Object and Smart Filter with Smart Filter Mask. I transformed the SO by simply downscaling it. The SFM remained untransformed as usual. I did "Transform > Again" to the SMF with the result that it was not only wrongly scaled, but it was rotated by about 30 degrees as well.

So, sometimes CS6 "Transform > Again" just doesn't work and sometimes it performs a wrong transform. Hmmm...

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,982 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Aug 10, 2012 10:23 AM   in reply to conroy

If you look at the other tread about transform Again and smart Object layers you will find I found there seems to be two flavors of Transform and some bazar behaviors when it come to smart object layers. http://forums.adobe.com/message/4611500#4611500

However for this problem here I think I can not show you how to do it.

First target the smart filters Mask.  In fact so you can see what is happening Alt+Click on it so Photoshop displays the mask rather then the the composit image.  Then  use Ctrl+T free transform then just for a test hold down the Ctrl and the Alt keys and drag in a cornor to constrain and srink the Mask thee release the keys and press enter to commit the transform.

Next target the smart object layer then use the short cut Ctrl+Shift+T (Transform Again) on a PC the smart object layer will be transformed to match the filter mask transform.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 11:45 AM   in reply to JJMack

JJ, have I understood correctly that transforming the Smart Filters Mask first will allow the matching transform to correctly happen when "Transform Again" is then applied to the Smart Object?

I guess that's something until CS6 is repaired, but it would entail iterative trial-and-error guessing of the required transform to achieve the desired result on the entire Smart Object when trying to be creative without taking measurements and using calculator.

Thanks, though!

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,982 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Aug 10, 2012 3:02 PM   in reply to conroy

I do not think its just CS6, CS5 seems the do the same strange things.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points