Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

the sands of time

Aug 7, 2012 11:51 AM

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/07/nyregion/at-the-american-hotel-in-sa g-harbor-tales-and-drinks-still-flow.html?_r=1&hpw

I was in Sag Harbor just around the time the Vietnam war was leading up to our present day love affair with that country manufacturing most of our sneakers and apparel, along with China of course and the 'pacific rim'.

Back in the late 60's it was " hippie " culture and young people making noise about what is right for America and our music reflected that. Some good music came out of that era, and a few good movies. I don't pretend to have any connection to those good products... just an affinity.

A friend had a " leather shop" on main street in Sag Harbor then..in 1968, when the rent was affordable for a young man and wife with talent to make leather goods...and candles etc. It was down the street from the American Hotel and across the street from the Sag Harbor Whaling Museum, and a few doors away from the " Black Buoy" ( a very disreputable whaling type bar of the sordid variety ).

The American Hotel at that time rented rooms for about $ 5.00 a night. It was a seedy but a sturdy building, dating back to the days of whales and fishermen. And the Revolutionary war etc. It had some harpoons on the walls, and some other artifacts scattered about the place, but basically it was a man's bar that served men who wanted to drink off the day's work and do what free society and our constitution admired most.  That is, if you wanted to you could smoke a cigarette and laugh and play and drink until you could hardly walk.

Mostly that was the "extreme" of freedom... we were not idiots. The leather shop was a great success in town, and many intellectuals and artists frequented the place from Long Island and NYC.

At that time Sag Harbor was where you went to ' avoid ' the Hamptons... a place that still had character and the spirit of what made places like that comfortable for everyone from the Captain of the ship, to the lowest sailor on his first whaling trip. When the American Hotel got bought by outsiders and closed for renovation, and eventually reopened to this monstrosity you see here... it was the end of an era for that town.  I hope they fare well, but really, this article and what you read about its cheap rooms and outhouses in the back yard.. is really not accurate. It was much more vital and beautiful before they turned it into a cheap imitation of a 4 star hotel in Cannes. Or whatever your mind considers " classy".

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 7, 2012 1:54 PM   in reply to able123

Minnesota must be quite a different place.  I have never been to New York State.  Do you miss the Long Island culture?  Are you keeping busy in Minnesota?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2012 6:53 PM   in reply to able123

Talk about tight accomodations, remember the Seinfeld episode where Kramer provides room and board for some guests from Japan?

It is amazing how much different home prices and rent are in different parts of the country.  There are currently some great buys in the Atlanta Georgia area.  My neighbor bought a home for his son for $50,000 in a very nice area.  It took a bit of money and hard work to make the place look nice, but still $50,000 is a decent price for a home in a good area..

Here's a place for 5M in my town.  The payment is only $26,000 per month.  Wouldn't that be a nightmare.  Imagine having that kind of a payment and a boss and wife like the one in the Twilight Zone episode, "Willoughby"

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 7:03 AM   in reply to able123

Great news, your mom sold her home for $356,000.

Property values have come down considerably in my neighborhood here in Georgia.  The upside is our property taxes are less.  Of course they raised the millage rate as much as they could get away with, offsetting the local government's shortfall.

You could buy a mansion here in Georgia for $300,000.  The only problem at that price point would be the property taxes.  I think they would run about $300 per month depending on what county the property is in. There are great deals here in the $180,000 range.  Once you have experienced the Minnesota winter, we'll talk again about real estate here.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 3:32 PM   in reply to able123

Boy, that sounds like lodging for workers in towns, like Aspen, West Vail, Crested and Telluride - 8 folk crowded into 400 sq. ft. of space. You can't even buy a 24 pack of brew, as it will not fit! In Aspen, you would only have to split maybe $4K/mo. Most of the kids work 2 - 3 jobs, just to pay the rent.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 1:17 PM   in reply to able123

"Things probably aren't as terrible in general no matter what the news tells us."  Man, I hope not.  Reading some articles, one would think America is becoming a full-blown police state.  I just posted an article on my facebook related to an Oregon man that was just sentenced to jail time for collecting rain water on his own property!!!

My neighbor sent me some pictures he took the other morning of what looked like the entire Alpharetta, GA police department quietly on our street armed with assault rifles.  We live in a good neighborhood. It turned they were there for a legitimate reason. A neighbor attacked and threatened his wife at gunpoint.  This is a guy everyone in the neighborhood loved. The world has changed a lot since I was a kid.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 1:23 PM   in reply to able123

A guy I used to work with would produce documentaries for public television. Personally, I think you have a great deal of talent in the writing department.  You should write a script and present it to some of the appropriate folks.  You may be able to get people to invest or donate money toward production costs.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 7:34 PM   in reply to able123

This is one of the photos my neighbor took just two doors down from my home.  I blurred the faces cause I would hate to piss the guy off with the assault rifle.

swat.jpg

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points