Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

character palette in CS6 flaw!

Jul 11, 2012 5:03 AM

This is bad news. When I select a font onscreen and open the character palette, then click on the font drop down, it is not automatically bringing up the selected font...meaning, it just begins at the very top of the list with 'A'. So...if it is something in the Helvetica family that I want to change to, say, Helvetica Neue, or what have you, I need to scroll all the way down my enormous font list over & over again. God forbid it be a font under 'T'.

Is there any way to correct this issue, or has CS6 just not up to it?!

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 11, 2012 5:21 AM   in reply to r_tist

CS6 displays recent fonts and the current font should be at the top of the list. Check your preferences if you don't see it:

Capture.PNG

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 6:30 AM   in reply to r_tist

As Bob says, totally new behavior, and there's nothing you can change other than the number of recent fonts.

There was a similar thread a few weeks ago where I advocated for makeing the recent list longer, rather than shorter, if you use a realtively small number of fonts most of the time. Otherwise, if you type the first few characters of the font name in the field the list should move to that font, and the arrow keys will work to move up and down from that point if you don't want to open the list and use the mouse to move one or two spots.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 3:36 PM   in reply to r_tist

Go to the preferences menu like on Bob Levine's pic and under "Number of Recent Fonts to Display", type in "0". That should fix it!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2012 5:08 AM   in reply to r_tist

Have you tried typing the name of the font?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2012 12:58 PM   in reply to r_tist

I have to agree with r_tist - InDesign CS5.5 was much more efficient when switching fonts within the same family because the preview list would jump to the currently selected font. The new features of the font preview list have not made enough improvements in the user experience to warrant the removal of jumping to the current font. At least make it an option.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 1:11 PM   in reply to josh xxiv

Has anyone come up with a work around for this "feature".

It's a huge hassel and extremely time consuming. This was the only post I could find. I can't believe no one else has talked about it. Everyone I know hates this.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2013 9:01 AM   in reply to kimdburns

Ok, after googling and realizing i am not the only one with this problem,

I fixed my jump to the top of the font list problem!!!!!! Finally! ...

1. Set [Number of recent Fonts To Display] to "0"

2.IMPORTANT (Makes no sense Adobe!!) ...... You have to check the box for [Sort Recent Fonts List Alphabetically]

3. BOOM!!!! Works!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points