Skip navigation
grwerner
Currently Being Moderated

eyedropper selection from browser reads as #fefefe and not #ffffff?

Aug 10, 2012 3:50 PM

Tags: #color #picker #eyedropper

I've been able to in the past use the eyedroper tool to grab colors from browser windows and get the exact coded color if it's a css color. I'm using Photoshop cs5 on a mac with snow leopard. When I try to get any color from a browser window (both safari and firefox) photoshop will shift the color slightly. Anyone have any ideas as to why? Do I have setting that is wrong all of sudden?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 10, 2012 4:01 PM   in reply to grwerner

The browser may be color managing the values, and so the value on screen might be #fefefe (or #fef0e0 if you have a bluish screen).

As far as we know, Photoshop is not shifting the color values - Photoshop is getting the exact color value from the display buffers.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 7:03 PM   in reply to grwerner

The displays might make a difference.

And Photoshop is getting the color accurately, as far as we know.  Photoshop gets exactly what the OS puts on the display -- but that may not be exactly the same as the values you specified on the webpage, because the colors are converted for the display.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2012 1:14 PM   in reply to grwerner

I don't know.  Again, Photoshop is reading the value straight from the OS (which copies the framebuffer so that Photoshop can read it).

And when we test it, we get the exact values we expect from the display.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points