Create PDF will crash after clicking on Create PDF and choosing a MS Word (or Excel) file. The words "Starting the application which created..." appear and then "Adobe Acrobat has stopped working." Create PDF Portfolio also doesn't work. But the Acrobat Create PDF tabs in Word and Excel work, as does print to Adobe PDF. Two chat sessions haven't produced any results yet. I have uninstalled and reinstalled twice, using Adobe Cleaner the most recent time, and I've repaired MS Office. Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit operating system. Acrobat 10.1.3. Word 2010, 32 bit, current with updates.
Are you dealing with a large file? If so, have you tried a simple 1 page conversion or such?
If not, you might try a repair of Acrobat (though I do not expect that to help). Look at the PDF Maker preferences, list what you have some place, then turn things off to see if it works. If so, then back up and try adding the prefrences one at a time until you can identify the potential problem.
Thanks Bill. I'm mostly working with small files, even just a line of text. I repaired Acrobat and nothing changed. I'll look at my preferences and start cycling through changing them and report back. I appreciate your ideas.
I just noticed that you indicated it happened apparently from Acrobat, but from WORD it seemed to work fine. Is that correct? In that case, I would check the preferences in Acrobat for the conversion from WORD. Also you might try playing with the right click on the DOC file in Windows Explorer to see what happens. I have a guess that it has something to do with the associations in your OS and not either WORD or Acrobat (since it supposedly works from WORD). If I have reread your post correctly, then maybe this will help the search for the solution. I do not have a 64-bit system that I am running things on, so can only guess or observe from the experiences of others.
What you say makes sense. I've changed several settings for Word conversions but haven't seen any success yet. I will continue to work on it as I have time (beginning of the semester). The latest from Adobe was to delete PDFMakerAPI.dll and repair. That didn't work. Then they suggested uninstalling and deleting the Adobe Acrobat 10.0 file in Program files, but it was successfully deleted by the uninstall. The problem persists after the reinstall. But at least I can use the tabs from within Word. Thanks again.