Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

There was a problem reading this document (109) on Japanese PC

Aug 7, 2012 11:41 PM

Tags: #error #reader

We have an app written with Delphi 2006 and using Rave Reports to generate PDFs.  A Japanese user of our software cannot open the PDFs (with Acrobat reader) our software produces when they run our software on a Japanese version of Windows (probably Win7). I have the same problem if I try to open the same PDF (which they have sent us) with Acrobat reader on an English-language Win XP machine :

There was an error processing a page. There was a problem reading this document (109)..

Ctrl-OK produces "object label badly formatted"

PDF files produced on English installations of our software read fine on our PCs and on the Japanese user's PC

Does anyone have any idea where this error is coming from?

Thanks,

Ross

 
Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 8, 2012 1:16 AM   in reply to rossmcm

    I do not know Rave Reports; is this part or an extension of Delphi?

     

    I remember a few years ago when I worked on a Delphi project, I always compiled the Japanese version of the software with the Japanese Delphi version.  I do not exactly remember why, but it may have been a fonts issue.

     

    Do you have Acrobat available?  If so, if you open that faulty PDF with Acrobat, then re-save it, does that fix the problem?  If yes, then you may be able to find out what the difference is between the two files.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 8, 2012 2:40 AM   in reply to rossmcm

    If the PDF does not contain any confidential information, can you send it to me, so I can try to open it with Acrobat?

     

    I will send you a PM with my email address.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 8, 2012 8:22 PM   in reply to rossmcm

    I have received your docs; I will have a look at them later today.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 8, 2012 9:01 PM   in reply to rossmcm

    I am very sorry; Acrobat gives me the exactly same error as you get in Adobe Reader.

     

    I have even tried to open it with Acrobat XI (beta), but I am still getting the same error.

     

     

    Since the failure only occurs when the document is issued on Japanese Windows, do I assume correctly that the document may contain Japanese characters?

     

    If so, are there provisions in your Delphi software and/or Rave Reports that multibyte / wide characters are handled correctly?  Are there specifications for Japanese (or Unicode) fonts?

     

    Sorry, this is about all I can think of.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 8, 2012 9:11 PM   in reply to rossmcm

    I just had a look at the second document you sent me (Foxit output), and it appears that there are timestamps that contain Japanese characters (but are rendered as "mojibake" garbage characters).

    mojibake.PNG

     

    That seems to prove that multibyte / wide characters are not handled, either in your software, or in Rave Reports.

     

    A Japanese timestamp would properly look like 2012年8月6日 18:54:20

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 8, 2012 9:17 PM   in reply to rossmcm
     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 8, 2012 9:22 PM   in reply to rossmcm

    rossmcm wrote:

     

    It seems unreasonable for Acrobat Reader to choke on this however. 

    It is possible that earlier Reader versions (8 or 9) may open the documens without errors, but of course it will still not show the Japanese timestamps correctly.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 10, 2012 2:30 AM   in reply to rossmcm

    Hi Ross,

     

    I will be able to have a look at it tomorrow.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 10, 2012 8:19 PM   in reply to rossmcm

    I was unable to open the "repaired" PDF with Acrobat; I am still getting the same error (as you get with Adobe Reader).

     

    I am currently not even sure if it is the Japanese characters that are causing the error.  And I do not know enough about the internal structure of PDF documents to analyze it.  (I have even downloaded PDF-Analyzer, but that doesn't really tell me anything about your doc.)

     

    I don't know how you obtain the timestamps in your application, but would it be possible to obtain these timestamps in a plain ASCII format?

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 11, 2012 12:31 AM   in reply to rossmcm

    I think it's worth a try (to use a romaji date format), as it may have font implications.

     

    I have played with Acrobat Preflight this afternoon, but even Preflight is unable to open your document.

     

    I have also downloaded a PDF Repair tool, which in fact was able to repair your PDF.  But then when I compared the two PDF files with a hex compare tool, the two files are dramatically different.  But the section where the timestamps appear are still identical (mojibake).

     

    So it appears as if it is not the Japanese characters per se that make the document unreadable, but something else - related to it.

     

    This case is really intriguing!

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 12, 2012 6:09 PM   in reply to rossmcm

    Yes, I tried Reader 9.x, 8.x, and 7.x - all give the same error.

     
    |
    Mark as:

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

  • 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points