Skip navigation
JasonD1977
Currently Being Moderated

Why are my photos moving on me???

Aug 10, 2012 9:21 PM

Tags: #lightroom4

After I edit photos in an external editor, my photo is moved from its original location in the folder, to a different one.  The photo stays within the same folder but is moved to a new location within it.  This is really annoying as I have a couple thousand photos from a trip to Europe I have been going through, and after my external editor closes and I am returned to LR, I have to find the photo which has been moved to some random spot so I can put it back to where it originally was.  I want to keep my photos organized by location, so it really sucks when my photos from Turkey end up with my photos from Hungary.  Anyone know how I can stop this???

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 11, 2012 12:54 AM   in reply to JasonD1977

You say ... external editor. Do you open the images in the external editor from within LR?

Does your external editor change the filename?

Does the external editor move the image to a different folder?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2012 1:13 AM   in reply to JasonD1977

JasonD1977 wrote:

After I edit photos in an external editor, my photo is moved from its original location in the folder, to a different one.  The photo stays within the same folder but is moved to a new location within it. 

No, not really. Files do not have a "location" within a folder.....files/photos are scattered all over your hard drive(s), but can be displayed in a certain order depending upon the capabilities of the viewing software. Lightroom is not as well equipped in this area as a dedicated file browser such as Finder or Windows Explorer, nevertheless there are a few options available in the Sort field in the Toolbar below the Grid (see screenshot). You need to pick one that lets your returned file be listed next to the original (such as Capture Time or Filename).

Capture.png

As to keeping your photos "organised by location", that's what keywords, collections, location metadata are for. In lieu of using those, sorting by capture date would probably be the best bet.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2012 3:39 AM   in reply to Jim Wilde

jim01403 wrote:

Files do not have a "location" within a folder.....files/photos are scattered all over your hard drive(s), but can be displayed in a certain order depending upon the capabilities of the viewing software. Lightroom is not as well equipped in this area as a dedicated file browser such as Finder or Windows Explorer,

As to keeping your photos "organised by location", that's what keywords, collections, location metadata are for. In lieu of using those, sorting by capture date would probably be the best bet.

the display capabilities of LR are perhaps  more than those of Finder or Explorer, not less. I say this because the tree arrangement within which folders relate to each other, can be displayed / not displayed as we choose.

If folders are cherrypicked individually for import (Add), then LR duly regards these as independent items. But the moment any folder appears in LR's list which contains one or more other folders in the same list, LR's folder display moves these into the correct relation. By using the "show parent folder" option in LR, independently shown folders can instead appear as a nested hierarchy which reflects the real situation. If this parent folder contains no imported images itself, it can be Removed from LR's display and its subfolders appear as loose items once more.

It is our choice how much or how little of the full folder path appears - we can simplify what is seen by not displaying the upper-level folders which are not relevant.

For example: I use an import preset whereby an image taken today would be auto-filed by LR (when copied from the camera card) into C:\users\public\documents\library\2012\08\11 - according to its capture date, YYYY \ MM \ DD. But my Lightroom folders panel does not show users, or public, or documents, or library; to do so would add only clutter. The top level displayed is "2012" (plus 2011, 2010 etc). Each newly arriving folder drops straight into the right (physical) place regardless whether LR has made it, or I have made it and then LR has Added it.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2012 5:16 AM   in reply to richardplondon

richardplondon wrote:

the display capabilities of LR are perhaps  more than those of Finder or Explorer, not less. I say this because the tree arrangement within which folders relate to each other, can be displayed / not displayed as we choose.

I was simply referring to the vast number of criteria which can be used by Windows Explorer (and I assume Finder) to control the order in which the contents of a single folder are listed, in comparison to the Grid sort capabilities in Lightroom....which is what I thought the OP's issue was.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2012 7:11 AM   in reply to Jim Wilde

besides the standard Sort options which I see have been illustrated already, the User Order option shows when you have manually re-arranged the image order... something which, like stacking, offers some extra control over the presentation of the images.

One significant sort option which I don't see there, is File Size. However I can't recall ever (so far) having reason to refer to filesize within Lightroom.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points