Skip navigation
GlobalGrooves
Currently Being Moderated

Can Fireworks master page adapt to it's content and be applied to only a few selected pages?

Aug 11, 2012 5:01 AM

Tags: #content #template #fireworks #select #master #page #editable #region #adapt

Hello everyone!

I use the Fireworks PNG format to save all the pages of the web sites I build. However, when I apply a master page in a Fireworks project, all subsequent pages have that master page applied to it. Sometimes there is a need to have a page without the master page applied to it but I can't seem to find out how to do this.

Another dificulty I came across is not beeing able to make the master page adapt to it's content, much like Dreamweaver's template editable regions, for those who know what that is. Is it possible to do this in Fireworks?

Greetings,

André Casal

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 12, 2012 5:01 PM   in reply to GlobalGrooves

André,

In regards to your first question, you'd think that the Pages panel fly-out menu might have a command that would allow you to disengage a selected page from the Master, but it doesn't seem to. However, if you select the page and go into its Layers panel, you can view the Master Page Layer at the bottom to the stack. You can adjust the visibility of that layer or its components, or go into the Layers panel fly-out menu and choose Remove Master Page Layer.

As for the second question, I don't believe it's possible for a Master page to "adapt to its content". I'm guessing by that you mean, to respond fluidly to other elements on the page, whether they're lengthy or brief, etc. That's a property of web pages, where all the content is "in flow". But Fireworks uses a different system.

I'm still new to the Pages feature myself, but have you tried the "Share Layer" options in the Layers panel fly-out menu? These might offer some of the benefits of the Master page feature, but with more flexibility. Symbols are also something to consider when you want to repeat elements within a document.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2012 9:51 AM   in reply to GlobalGrooves

Come to think of it, in the parlance of web design, Fireworks is based on an "absolute positioning" model: Every object is independent of the other, positioned in reference to coordinates on the canvas, and assigned its own z-index. (That's compared to "static" HTML, where everything is "in flow", as I mentioned.)

Sorry that's a bit of a tangent, but I thought it was interesting.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2012 8:22 PM   in reply to GlobalGrooves

If you don't want a Master Page to show on a particular page, it's really easy to do.  Just scroll down the layers panel for that page until you get to the Master Page Layer and click the eye to hide it. 

Also instead of using a Master Page, you can use the "Share Layer to Pages" feature and choose particular Pages for any layer for more flexibility.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2012 10:25 AM   in reply to GlobalGrooves

Fireworks does such a variety of stuff... I really think of it as a graphics editor that happens to export to HTML. And my impression is that Pages and Master Pages were designed to improve its prototyping capabilities, but not necessarily to create entire websites, in a finished form. For that, I think its creators would expect you to export your work into Dreamweaver, and take advantage of the features that you're missing (like templates with editable regions, library items, etc.).

Still, it's something to think about, and good to brainstorm new concepts. I wonder how Adobe Muse handles these issues... Have you tried it?

Incidentally, both of Daryl's suggestions were included in my original response, plus a few other ideas. (For instance, I'd suggest defining the footer as a symbol, instead of copying and pasting.) Just sayin'.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2012 2:28 PM   in reply to GlobalGrooves

As far as the footer goes, I could see Adobe extending the Master Page functionality to allow positioning of an item in relation to the bottom of the canvas, instead of just the top left. (Although that's suggestive of absolute positioning, which raises questions about HTML export.) The idea of "anchoring" one component to another is an interesting one, too. For some reason, I can almost imagine that being integrated through the use of symbols—i.e., being able to anchor a symbol to a text box, or something.

Are you imagining a fluid-length canvas?

This is Adobe's official feature request submission form: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Incidentally, are you exporting as HTML & CSS from Fireworks, or just creating the visual design?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points