Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Installing ColdFusion on port 80

Aug 10, 2012 3:31 PM

Tags: #10 #coldfusion

I am using the Mac with Lion, and I would like to use Tomcat, but like to use port 80, is this possible? I have looked all over the web, but could not find an answer.

I think that it may be hard as port 80 is using apache. Any help would be great!

thanks,

Johnny

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 10, 2012 9:51 PM   in reply to johnbarrett

You certainly can do it. It's quite easy.  The setting is in server.xml.  Just do a search ont he file for 8080 and replace it with 80. It should only be in one spot.

You will, of course, need to do one of the following:

- Disable Apache (Turn off web sharing)

- Move Apache to a different port (I'm not sure hwo this is doen on Lion, sorry)

One other option is to serve your Tomcat/CF sites through Apache. This is considerably more involved, but may offer additional benefits (URL Rewriting, etc).

The CF10 installer will probably do the Apache config for you, I don't know, I have not tried it yet. So it may not be that involved at all. If you are planning to use CF9 or CF8 then it is more involved, but there are  sites out there with such instructions. You may need to use Linux instruction and modify them for the Mac. They are pretty similar.

Good luck

jason

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 11:18 PM   in reply to johnbarrett

It's 8500 (which is the default for CF10) in your case.  It's in the bit marked "internal webserver start".

That said, if you've already got Apache running, why not just use Apache instead of Tomcat's web server?

--

Adam

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2012 7:22 AM   in reply to Adam Cameron.

Ooops, yeah, 8500. Thanks Adam.  I was thinking of a plain Tomcat install.

jason

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2012 9:40 AM   in reply to 12Robots

Hi Adam & Jason,

Thanks so much for your help!

Last night I did re install using apache under port 80. I don't know the difference with tomcat & port 8500 with the interal webserver over using apache & port 80, except now I have things the way I like it, and I understand the apache config file a little.

thanks so much for your help

Johnnny

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2012 10:05 AM   in reply to johnbarrett1

Glad you got it all working.  For dev, I don't think it really matters what web server one uses, unless one actually needs to leverage various features that Apache or IIS or [whatever] offer as well as just serving web pages.  At home I can't be bothered setting up a different webserver, so just use the JWS with CF9 and Tomcat with CF10.  But all I need to do is tinker around; I do all my work in my workplace, and we've got IIS there set up to mirror the prod environment.  However the key benefit to using Apache at home is something you touched on... getting used to using Apache.  It's a handy skill to have.

--

Adam

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2012 9:37 PM   in reply to Adam Cameron.

Yeah I a so happy that I got it working the way I want again. Yes I am very comfortable in Apache, can d what I want with it, and like working with it. I should lern IIS, and others, but  am happy to everything in apache, as I work on the Mac, and host on a Linux box so my workflow is always apache

Not sure about IIS, but creating viral hosts in apache is easy, that is waht I do for each client, and that becomes the server enviroment, which matches where I host, so it is a happy dev set up.

thanks so much!

Johnny

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points