Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign bleed problem!

Aug 10, 2012 8:46 PM

Hi All

We have faced a problem in indesign while exporting to pdf; exported pdf with bleeds shows some 'text' outside of bleed. Which is actually comes from the art file placed near the trim that extends to bleed. Its being strange, because no other text or art portions are exported.

FYI: See attachement.

exported.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 10, 2012 11:53 PM   in reply to AYS. HAKKIM

FIrst, what format is the file in use? Also, please always tell us the version of InDesign you are using and the OS.

Second, is this really a problem? It’s puzzling, sure, but I don’t see this causing a problem with output.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2012 4:29 AM   in reply to AYS. HAKKIM

I agree with Scott that it's certainly curious, but not likely to be a problem. You haven't finished answereing the questions he asked, however.

What format is the Map?

And in addition, what settings are you using to export?

Are your versions if ID fully patched to 7.0.4 for CS5, and at least 6.0.5 for CS4?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2012 4:48 AM   in reply to AYS. HAKKIM

You need to find out WHY this is a problem because that little extra bit of info is going to be chopped off the paper anyway. Spending time and resources to fix something that isn't really broken makes very little sense to me.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,122 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Aug 11, 2012 10:30 AM   in reply to AYS. HAKKIM

Is the page part of a spread? I can see that the page is even 396, where's page 397? The "S" will be on the right page if the art crosses over.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 3:28 AM   in reply to AYS. HAKKIM

Just chiming in to disagree with this:

Peter Spier said

I agree with Scott that it's certainly curious, but not likely to be a problem.

Of course it's a problem! It just happens to be not one in the OP's particular situation.

I've seen this occur more than once (*) with an otherwise normally placed PDF, cropped and placed inside a regular page, and some of the cropped-off text refused to disappear in a freshly exported PDF. Of course it went out of the door unnoticed (because, hey, it looked good in InDesign, and I'm not going over each exported page to see if it got the export right) and then the client complained about some "stray text". No amount of manipulating the original PDF image could make it disappear; at the end I could solve the issue by "re-frying" the PDF, i.e., print to a new PDF using Acrobat.

(*) Three, or maybe four or maybe five times, this past decade. Then again, I'm only counting where it was actually visible to the client. Who knows how many times it happened to go off the bleed -- as with the OP's --, or went to press unnoticed?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 4:02 AM   in reply to [Jongware]

Certainly seems to be a problem with how InDesign handles pdfs - I've seen this problem before, stray things that are not contained in the PDF being exported with the InDesign file. One situation this occured in it turned out the PDF had been "cropped" in acrobat prior to being placed, but Acrobat doesn't really crop the page, it just "masks it" - and then that content got exported even though the PDF didn't show any of this content.

And refrying the PDF was my solution too. I've even gone to the trouble of rasterising the PDF at a high-resolution and replacing it.

It's a bit frustrating, and I'm not 100% sure what causes it, it's very strange.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 4:50 AM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

Are we talking about the same problem here? I interpretted the OP's issue as having data beyond the intended bleed area. While odd, I don't see why that would be a big deal. What would be a problem is placing a cropped PDF and having what you thought was cropped showing up.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 5:14 AM   in reply to AYS. HAKKIM

Can you please post screenshots of the InDesign file that the PDF is being exported from?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,122 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Aug 13, 2012 5:55 AM   in reply to AYS. HAKKIM

Export setting : [High Quality Print]

Doesit happen if you export to the PDF/X-4 preset

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 6:03 AM   in reply to Rob Day

Two more screenshots, please.

1. The document setup with the bleed and slug area visible.

2. The PDF export dialog with the marks and bleed pane selected.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 6:51 AM   in reply to AYS. HAKKIM

In response to Jongware, OK, point taken. Not a problem in this case, but a potential issue if the cropped PDF is placed in the interior of a page (I did reproduce that with the OP's file).

I was able to reproduce the problem in CS5 and CS4, but not in CS5.5. I'm thinking bug. Have any of you who have seen this before seen it anywhere other than the right hand edge?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 6:56 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Peter Spier wrote:

I was able to reproduce the problem in CS5 and CS4, but not in CS5.5. I'm thinking bug. Have any of you who have seen this before seen it anywhere other than the right hand edge?

Agreed but if it's been fixed in CS5.5 the chances of ever seeing a fix in earlier versions is slim and none.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 7:03 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Quite.

Just wanted to report that I was able to make it happen, but not in more recent versions. I guess that means if you place PDF into CS4 or CS5 you need to check the right edges of the exported frames. Ugh.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 7:39 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

As I said, I've seen it happen -- but only in a handful of cases, the past decade, and I never thought of saving a sample somewhere to find out What Went Wrong.

Today I have the proper technology to investigate in fine detail what sort of internal PDF construction can make InDesign blithely ignore this cropping, but then again, it would only be of passing interest as Adobe seems to have fixed it -- for newer versions.

Peter Spier wrote:

..  I guess that means if you place PDF into CS4 or CS5 you need to check the right edges of the exported frames. Ugh.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say, in general one does not have to check each and every single exported PDF. When properly used (*), I find InDesign very reliable in its output.

(*) Indeed, this is a snide remark with re: to the flocks of noobs users that encounter "one problem after another" after using ID for only a month.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 9:02 AM   in reply to AYS. HAKKIM

The bottom line is this: Several of us have looked at this and acknowledged the problem. It’s not getting fixed so either upgrade or learn to live with it.

FWIW, you have less than 3 weeks to take advantage of Creative Cloud intro pricing.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,122 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Aug 13, 2012 8:24 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

I guess that means if you place PDF into CS4 or CS5 you need to check the right edges of the exported frames. Ugh.

Peter, I couldn't replicate in CS3. Does it happen with any preset i.e PDF/X-4?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 8:29 AM   in reply to [Jongware]

[Jongware] wrote:

I'm going to stick my neck out and say, in general one does not have to check each and every single exported PDF. When properly used (*), I find InDesign very reliable in its output.

(*) Indeed, this is a snide remark with re: to the flocks of noobs users that encounter "one problem after another" after using ID for only a month.

In ten years I've never seen this before, but I don't think the reliability has anythig to do with one's user habits or skill level in this case. I would say it depends entirely on the structure of the PDF. I'd LIKE to think I'm fairly competent as an InDesign user, and this would have bitten me, too, had I placed a cropped version of that map in the left half of the page.

I do agree that there are plenty of threads seen here from users who don't understand the program, and many of those don't seem to care to learn, but this is definitely not one of those cases.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 8:38 AM   in reply to Rob Day

Rob Day wrote:

Peter, I couldn't replicate in CS3. Does it happen with any preset i.e PDF/X-4?

I don't see it in CS3, either, in quick testing. It did happen in CS4 with both the HQ Print and X1-a presets.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,122 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Aug 13, 2012 8:58 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

It did happen in CS4 with both the HQ Print and X1-a presets.

I'm wondering if it's related to the PDF version, so does it happen in CS4 with PDF 1.6 (X-4)?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 9:15 AM   in reply to Rob Day

Yes.

I don't think it has anythign to do with the PDF version, but something to do with the text in the .ai file, which is complex beyond belief and not split into layers or anything that would make it easy to work with (in five minutes of scanning the layers panel I wasn't able to find that piece of text). There are other things, obviously, including other text objects, that cross the crop line, yet there is only that one anomaly.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 9:28 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Did finally find that text in the panel, but boy could this file use some layers. Nothing special about it that I can see, and if I change the crop so that it slices through further to the left so it cuts that line and another tag further above using the same font, but in a smaller size, it's still only that one line that shows the anomaly.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 10:54 AM   in reply to AYS. HAKKIM

> I didn't expect this reply from you 'Jong'. Instead of finding out solution you are blaming people. We (including you might) have come across 'indesign crash' many times!!

My apologies, AYS.HAKKIM. It was *most certainly* not meant as a personal attack, it was more an "in general" remark. You know the kind of posts we (you and I both) see far too often.

As I stated, armed with my current knowledge of a PDF I *probably* could find out why some text objects are not clipped as they should, but it would be an exercise in futility because Adobe already solved it -- for CS6! And they do not port back their solved bugs to the "no longer supported" older versions ...

Your client is right to mark this as a potential problem. If the same thing happens when this file is imposed onto a larger sheet for printing, this text *might* cause a problem after all.

The only thing I can suggest is to re-fry the PDF: print to a new PDF. The basic premise is that existing content -- the complex layering Peter S. observes -- will be flattened out to a simpler structure, with which ID no longer has this problem. It worked for me, the few times I encountered this.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2012 11:01 PM   in reply to AYS. HAKKIM

i have seen a problem with a file that worked fine in CS5. In CS5.5, there are two pages that are just text that go blank when the bleeds are not set to an equal number. If the inside bleed is set to zero and the rest are set to 0.25 the two pages go blank. If the bleeds are set to 0.25 all the way around or set to zero all the way around, the pages have the normal text. I guess this makes CS5.5 a useless program unless I am willing to have two blank pages in the book instead of having text.

I was able to get the page text to show on the pdf by adding a picture on the page bleed area and to by bringing the text to the front (even though there is nothing overlapping it). Based on this bug, I would not send any pdf conversions without checking them.

If you were wondering about the name, I was hoping this was not taken and thankfully it wasn't!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2012 5:03 AM   in reply to wasistlosinderbundespost

I think this is acompletely unrelated to the topic of this thread.

Have you tried exporting that file to .idml? see Remove minor corruption by exporting

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points