Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How can I make hole in a 3D sphere?

Aug 10, 2012 2:51 AM

Tags: #illustrator #3d #shape

Hi, how can I build a 3d sphere shape with a rect hole in it (simil to pacman)? Something like this, but with a real 3d shape (so I could change the perspective having all the shades and lights etc...):

sphere.jpg

Thank you in advance.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 10, 2012 3:25 AM   in reply to contoystudio

contoystudio,

You may have to elaborate.

If you have a hole in the side of a sphere you cannot see it from the front (apart from (maybe some part of) the outermost end, depending on the angle).

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 5:53 AM   in reply to contoystudio

contoystudio,

It depends on your version.

In the latest, I believe you can use the cross section (as in the image) and rotate it, then rotate the final shape (in different ways) to change the viewing angle and set shading.

There is more to it in (somewhat) older versions, especially those before 3D.

As other might tell you, I am a bit slow in the upgrade (or maybe uptake).

In any case, if you state the version, I am sure someone will give you further instructions soon. I am away again for a while,

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 8:18 AM   in reply to contoystudio

contoystudio,

I am sure it is a matter of choosing the axis of rotation to be the centreline of the hole in the cross section.

A cross section is a plane through an object, corresponding to what you see when you cut it in two (with nothing where there is a hole).

The shape of the image in the OP (without the varying colour) could be a cross section of a cylindrical hole with a rounded inner end cut into a sphere.

If you revolve it round the middle of the hole (the centreline, about 45 degrees from horizontal), you should get the 3D rendering with the opening of the hole (barely) showing at the upper right, and I believe you can then change the view to look more or less into the hole.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 8:30 AM   in reply to contoystudio

You would need to do Boolean Operations to get the shape you want. But Illustrator can't do Boolean Operations on 3D objects

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 8:47 AM   in reply to contoystudio

Actually this might not be practical in AI aand might be better done in a fulblown 3D creation program.

But this is what you can achieve in AI  first one is to create a half circle profile witht he shape to be remove removed from the profile as such

Screen Shot 2012-08-10 at 11.36.19 AM.png

then do a simple revolve Effect>3D>Revolve

Screen Shot 2012-08-10 at 11.35.34 AM.png

the other way is to revole a half circle path and use a shape to make an opcaity mask the sahpe would be filled wih black the mask would not be clipped or inversed

Screen Shot 2012-08-10 at 11.39.06 AM.png

Screen Shot 2012-08-10 at 11.39.20 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 9:03 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

I guess you can do it bu tthis is very tricky and you need to combine the two about rotated art and the do some strange adjustments and then use another opacit mask.

If you want later I will try make a video but I am not usre tht would be helpful.

Screen Shot 2012-08-10 at 12.00.08 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 9:12 AM   in reply to contoystudio

A hole like this?

Screen shot 2012-08-10 at 12.09.15 PM.pngstart with this:Screen shot 2012-08-10 at 12.04.49 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 9:50 AM   in reply to contoystudio

Witht he thrid mehod probably not at least not without a degree of difficulty.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 12:15 PM   in reply to contoystudio

contoystudio,

I understood the OP in the way that SRiegel showed, a hole drilled (or shot) rather than cut.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 1:49 PM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

I think more like routed than drilled is what the OP ( conyoystudio) might be seeking)

As far as what program I think there are sevral free 3D apps for the Mac otherwise you are talking about programs like vectore works, studio max I must adnmit there a some less expensive but I do not recall their names do a search.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 2:46 PM   in reply to contoystudio

To maintain and complete the (phonetic) rhyming, it has proved to be a hole milled (or cut) rather than drilled (or shot).

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 7:42 PM   in reply to contoystudio

I'll do a video tomorrow and you can take a look at Strata 3D which is relatively inexpensive and they may have plug in for Illustrator.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 9:34 PM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

I also thought drilled the way SRiegel showed and even posted a conformation message with a screen shot but realized that it could be a cut and deleted my message. The reference image must be with two cross sections in order to know what  it is. Otherwise the reference image could be be two things:

drilled easily done with Illustrator

Capture.JPG

or cut done with a 3D program - not possible with Illustrator 3D effect.

aaa.jpeg

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2012 11:08 AM   in reply to contoystudio

here is a video and with some other manipulation you might be able to simulate the object rotated in other ways but as I wrote it is best done in a 3D application like Strata 3D or Vector Works.

http://www.wadezimmerman.com/videos/PacmanSphere.mov

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2012 11:42 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

As i tthought about it you can make it more convincing if you are good witht he pen tool by just doing one massk and following the contours of form

Screen Shot 2012-08-11 at 2.19.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2012-08-11 at 2.19.15 PM.png

Screen Shot 2012-08-11 at 2.20.05 PM.png

If your more careful you cn get it to look like this

Screen Shot 2012-08-11 at 2.41.36 PM.png

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers