CS6 Extended raytraced caustics.

caustic-donut.png

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 11, 2012 1:30 PM   in reply to conroy

Cool shape, but what does the word "caustic" imply?  My train of thought got derailed.  It happens. 

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 11, 2012 1:50 PM   in reply to conroy

Thanks.

Second question:  You're showing these images with what look like "light panels" in them...  I've been looking for ways to do that and have so far not stumbled upon how...  I've been looking at the various options for lights, and I've rotated my views so the light sources should be visible, but nothing's showing up.  Perhaps I've missed something obvious...  Can you help "shed some light" on how to get those in the image, and so that the nice reflections are generated? 

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 11, 2012 2:18 PM   in reply to conroy

Oh, snap!  I was trying to create everything from scratch.  It didn't occur to me to download some presets.  Thanks!

I was doing okay making innertubes though... 

Tube.jpg

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 11, 2012 2:40 PM   in reply to conroy

This 3D stuff is great fun.  I take it you've some experience with it.  I only "graduated" from 2D photos with Photoshop CS6, when I moved up to Extended.

InnerTube.jpg

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 11, 2012 3:49 PM   in reply to conroy

"Geek", "Renderman", "moons", et. al. don't ring a bell with me, but since you're a Mac user we may not have crossed paths much before the forums were smashed together (thinking "large hadron collider").

All I can say is thanks for the tips, from a fellow geek of different feathers.

InnerTubeDeluxe.jpg

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 11, 2012 6:15 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

And of course we have the frosted glass paperweight on a glass desk, and a nice shiny black innertube bouncing in the air...

FrostedGlassToroid.jpg

ShinyInnerTube.jpg

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 11, 2012 8:27 PM   in reply to conroy

I don't have the depth of knowledge you do, but I get the impression that all the "magic" is occurring on the faces, and the model doesn't really have an "inner material" per se - kind of like a clear glass with a colored coating, or maybe hollow plastic with colored walls.  So it's not a matter of the ray tracer doing it wrong so much as an incomplete modeling of reality.  Thus it's impossible to apply Beer's law per a given material if there's no sense of a material through which the light is passing.  Does that seem to make sense?  It's purely an observation.

Plus I'm finding a few things that may be ray tracing glitches...  This model of an extruded R, for example, seems to be missing some color in a strange way in the spaces where it's cut through.  There only appear to be a few places where this is occurring, and note that things look okay on the right side of the R.  Notably I didn't let the rendering finish, but it doesn't seem likely to change something as radical as that - everything seems to be just refinement.

RColorProblems.jpg

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 11, 2012 8:30 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

More on that...  Note the coloration of the OpenGL draft approximation of same...

OpenGLDraft.jpg

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 11, 2012 9:37 PM   in reply to conroy

I think we're in agreement, though I don't know the proper terms to express things in.

I've found that Photoshop's ability to combine the 3D results with other layers is kind of cool.  It leverages my knowledge of how to use Photoshop, and as you probably saw from the other thread on the gun logos I have been able to do a passable job of making a backlit glass effect.  It doesn't stand up perfectly to close scrutiny, but it looks pretty good - so again we're in agreement - the raytracing engine has produced nice results, and Photoshop has been able to use them well in a bigger design.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 12, 2012 4:56 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

By the way, one thing I found impressive:  I fooled with Photoshop in one session doing experimentation and rendering after rendering for something like 8 hours straight yesterday afternoon, without a single Photoshop fault.  It's not like Rendering was fast - even with 8 cores on the job - but it didn't run into any brick walls, which was nice.  ATI Catalyst 12.6 seems to be pretty good for Photoshop.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 14, 2012 6:58 AM   in reply to conroy

Plus apparently you're able to make it completely clear but at the same time deeply colored, which was my original complaint.  Opacity isn't the same as coloration.  I remember my Chemistry teacher in college, one Dr. Baxter, a lifetime ago flunking people for not differentiating between "clear liquid" and "colorless liquid".  Fortunately I got the distinction early on and aced his course.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Aug 14, 2012 7:43 AM   in reply to conroy

Conroy, did you post at the feedback site regarding the remarks about the materials, with examples?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Incoming Links

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points