Skip navigation
yleokim
Currently Being Moderated

Sidecar .xmp file question

Aug 11, 2012 5:50 PM

Can Bridge create a sidecar .xmp file without storing the data (keywords) in the native file? If so, how? (I know that it can export the keywords to an .xmp file, but the native file is too large to use after I add the keywords).

If Bridge cannot do this, what other options are there to accomplish this?

Thank you,

Kim

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 11, 2012 6:02 PM   in reply to yleokim

Keywords are stored on the image file in Bridge and most other programs I believe.  THis make them readable in other programs as well.

Not sure what you mean by adding keywords makes the file too large to use.  Are you exceeding 1 gigabyte file size?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2012 6:29 PM   in reply to yleokim

what type of file and how many keywords?   Would think keywords would be just a few kb.  Text does not take up much space.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2012 8:26 PM   in reply to yleokim

One has an option in the edit/camera raw prefernces to use sidecar file or a database.  But with raw files that works, not sure on mp4 files. 

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2012 3:02 AM   in reply to yleokim

Only raw files can have sidecar files, this is because raw files are read only. I have just created some sidecar files for a few jpgs and bridge did not read them as it expects the data to be  stored in the document. So it seems that you must store the metadata in the files or keep the information in an excel spreadsheet or your own database.

Edit: maybe a Digital Asset Managment program would be better suited or would Lightroom/Aperture do this?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2012 3:03 AM   in reply to yleokim

It does seem that you need a Digital Asset Management program, and that will depend on your operating system, for Windows I have just tried the free standalone version from http://www.daminion.net/

With this you can add your keywords to a catalog for filetypes that do not support metadata.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points