Skip navigation
deemichigan
Currently Being Moderated

'Save as PDF' resizes my image!

Aug 11, 2012 11:26 PM

Tags: #resizing #pdf #resize #jpg #tiff

I'm designing an image with photoshop sized 4.625 x 3.625. No problem -- until I 'save as' a PDF. Then it automatically resizes the image to 4.263 x 3.623. It doesn't sound like much difference, but the client requires the exact size in PDF.

I've tried everything I can think of to hold the size but nothing works. I've created it in jpg, tiff, and even switched to In-Design. One site said to create the project in a different dpi (200 instead of my usual 300dpi) but as soon as I 'save as' a PDF the size changes again.

Please help! I'm terrified that you will all think I'm stupid, but I've run out of ideas.

Thanks.

Dee

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 11, 2012 11:42 PM   in reply to deemichigan

Well, what settings for DPI/ bleed and what have you do you use in the PDF dialog? Sounds like a simple rounding/ quantization issue with classic point size vs. computerized point size and all calculations based thereon...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 12, 2012 5:40 AM   in reply to deemichigan

A way to see what's going on is this:

EXACTLY how many pixels do you get in 4.625 inches at 300 ppi?  Do the math (i.e., multiply those numbers).  You'll see it's not an integral number of pixels.

A computer image MUST have an integral number of pixels in it.  Since Photoshop can't make up the half pixel for you, it rounds down.

Move up to 400 ppi and you'll get an integral number and no rounding.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points