Skip navigation
koorean
Currently Being Moderated

how to connect multiple endpoints into one straight one line

Aug 12, 2012 11:47 AM

Tags: #illustrator #adobe #connect #pen_tool #join #open_endpoints #connect_points #joining_multiple_endpoints #join_endpoints

Hello everybody,

I made a sihlouette of buildings and I"m wanting to connect the bottom open endpoints into one straight line. The reason I'm doing this is because I want to add a fill to the sihlouette as a whole instead of doing them one by one.

I tried joining paths but it can only be two open endpoints at a time. As you can see with the picture below, I have many open endpoints.

The pen tool only joins two open endpoints. If I try to continue to try to add another endpoint to the same line, the pen tool becomes a "minus anchor point" tool and messes up the shape of the buildings.

Of course, I thought of just making each building seperate and grouping them together. However, if I do that, a issue occurs because I have certain buildings that are "in front" of each other (not in the sense of layers, but the image as a whole). I purposely made the sihlouette look like some buildlings are in front of each other and some are behind each other.

I hope I am making sense. I don't even know if what I am doing is possible.

I added a picture below so everybody can see what I am trying to achieve. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Screen shot 2012-08-12 at 2.44.20 PM.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 12, 2012 12:02 PM   in reply to koorean

Joining them won't be getting you too far.

You really waht one path going round that silhouette? Take a look at the pathfinder panel (see manual)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2012 2:19 PM   in reply to koorean

koorean,

If you wish to give all buildings tha same fill, why not just select the lot (drag over them with the Selection Tool or Ctrl/Cmd+A and apply the desired fill colour?

The paths do not have to be closed.

If you wish to have a line at the bottom, you may just create one, maybe extending past the outermost Anchor Points, or just join those.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2012 2:34 PM   in reply to koorean

Do you want the area inside the buildings sihlouette to be transparent? If so waht is wrong with leaving it as is or as Jacob suggesst a line across the botton sitting on top of the art

If you are concerned about moveing the object about consider turning into a symbol selet all the art including the new line and drag it to the symbols panel.

Good thing aboout this it can be used over and ob=ver and even in other documents and if you updte the art all instances of the symbol are updated even in other documents, but if you want to edit one instance to be different you can do that as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2012 2:53 PM   in reply to koorean

It might help if you further explained what end result you were trying to acheive. If you join all these objects together with a single path along the bottom, they will all have to have the same fill, so there will be no buildings in front or behind.

If you are looking to add a transparent fill to all of the buildings at once (overall shading or whatnot?) while also having each building have it's own fill, group them and then with the group selected, go to the appearance panel and from the flyout menu, add new fill.  You can then click on that fill in the appearance panel to modify it.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2012 3:32 PM   in reply to koorean

koorean,

I (wrongly) presumed that all the buildings had two points on the bottom.

They are needed in any case (unless you skip having different buildings in front of one another).

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2012 4:03 PM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Wouldn't it be enough to select all and use the pathfinder's Add command?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2012 4:47 PM   in reply to koorean

koorean,

on the graphic from your screen shot in post #5 do this:

Select All (Ctrl+A) and Copy (Ctrl+C)

In the Pathfinder panel click the Unite button (the first one)

Remove the anchor points that brake the straight line at the bottom of the fill. One way is with the Lasso tool by drawing a selection like the yellow line on the image below and then in the Control panel (under the main menu)  click the button next to Anchors.

Capture.JPG
    Select All (Ctrl+A) and make a compound path (Ctrl+8). Use this path for the clipping mask.

Paste in front (Ctrl+F) to put the original lines back and remove their fill

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2012 6:17 PM   in reply to koorean

Looks like you missed step 2 or didn't keep the selection from step 1 when making step 2. . Also, your lasso selection shold not include the bottom right point of the graphic.

Try again

emil emil wrote:

1. Select All (Ctrl+A) and Copy (Ctrl+C)

2. In the Pathfinder panel click the Unite button (the first one)

3. Remove the anchor points that brake the straight line at the bottom of the fill. One way is with the Lasso tool by drawing a selection like the yellow line on the image below and then in the Control panel (under the main menu)  click the button next to Anchors.

4. Select All (Ctrl+A) and make a compound path (Ctrl+8). Use this path for the clipping mask.

5. Paste in front (Ctrl+F) to put the original lines back and remove their fill

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2012 11:04 AM   in reply to koorean

I know, I am a bit late in this thread, but another solution could have been just drawing a straight line at the bottom all across all the vertical lines, select everything, choose Object/Live Paint/Make ... and then go ahead and fill out all the areas with Live Paint Bucket (k or in the Tools panel with the Shape Builder Tool) ... when done if you wish to make it into regular paths again simply select the paths with your Selection Tool (v) and select Object/Expand.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points