Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Joining closed shapes?

Aug 12, 2012 9:18 AM

This seems something that might be obvious but in searching for it I'm not coming up with anything (possible I'm using the wrong terms to describe it?). Basically, I want to join the below three shapes into one shape, but when I'm lining up the anchor points and joining, it's saying:

"The selects objects cannot be joined since they are invalid objects".

Do you know how I'd join these?

Screen Shot 2012-08-12 at 9.17.17 AM.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 12, 2012 9:21 AM   in reply to kissfrito@yahoo.com

Exactly how are you trying to join them?

If they are touching each other you should do this with pathfinder functions

If they don't touch, make a compound path.

Look all this up in the manual.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2012 2:28 PM   in reply to kissfrito@yahoo.com

Kiss,

Unsure about the possible reasons for the error message, you may:

1) Place the curved end paths where you want them with the desired distance,

2) Delete the rectangle,

3) Delete the straight segments of the end paths (just click each segment with the Direct Selection Tool,

4) Still with the Direct Selection Tool select the top end points and Ctrl/Cmd+J to join them,

5) Repeat for the bottom ones.

If you get an error message in 4) and/or 5), you probably have Anchor Points on top of each other.

You can skip 3) if you just create the end path as open paths in the first place.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2012 2:40 PM   in reply to kissfrito@yahoo.com

I think the OP wants the paths to be closer toether like butted up against one another and then join them.

think all the have to do move the objects together nd use he Unite Command on the Pathfinder Panel.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2012 2:47 PM   in reply to kissfrito@yahoo.com

define "join"...  The join command in Illustrator takes 2 points and connects them.  If you have 3 closed paths, there are no open points to join.

Are you looking to move the objects together so that there is no space between them?  If so, look at your align panel, make sure it's all the way open (click on the up and down arrows to the left of the name) select all 3 objects, make sure that "distribute spacing" is set to zero, and click on the Horizontal Distribute Space button (the one on the right).

Are you looking to have them behave as a single object that is spaced as shown in your screenshot?  Select them and go to Object -> Compound path -> make

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2012 3:48 PM   in reply to kissfrito@yahoo.com

For my part you are welcome, Kiss.

Merge is fine. Compound Path Make can create holes (like the counter in an O). Unite would also add the that Anchor Point.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2012 8:18 PM   in reply to kissfrito@yahoo.com

You know i do not know what any of us were thinking but once you moved the shapes next to each other al you had to do was grab the Shape builder tool and drait across the three shape and you would end up with one shape.

For your own knowledge try it it can sacve you lots of time.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points