Skip navigation
jahmanwife@hotmail.com
Currently Being Moderated

Combining Video Clips

Aug 6, 2012 5:37 PM

Can someone direct me to where I might learn about how to combine a couple of video's together with the edits to the clips included?  I hope this is possible.

THANKS!

Linda

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 6, 2012 5:53 PM   in reply to jahmanwife@hotmail.com

A good place to start would be with my free 8 part Basic Training tutorials.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 9:47 PM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Steve Grisetti wrote:

A good place to start would be with my free 8 part Basic Training tutorials.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685?tstart=0

Steve,

With due respect, I clicked on the link and found nothing newer that PrE8.  Is that not two years old?  The current version is 10 and 11 is expected soon.

Any plans to upgrade?  I must be missing something.

Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2012 4:49 AM   in reply to whsprague

Yes, it was originally created for version 8. However, some elements (like project set-up) were updated for version 10 and the workflow for versions 7, 8, 9 and 10 are similar enough that it should apply to all.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 6:37 PM   in reply to jahmanwife@hotmail.com

OK, the workflow to combine multiple Projects (the PREL's), you will want to Export/Share each Project to an intermediate file. Then, create a New Project, to match, and Import all of those Exported/Shared files into it.

The choice of intermediate files will depend on exactly what you have in each of your individual Projects. Can you furnish the full details of those, please?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 9:34 PM   in reply to jahmanwife@hotmail.com

OK, let's get this to the lowest common denominator. What is your Source Footage, and hence, your Project Preset?

That will determine the rec. for the intermediate file.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 7:41 AM   in reply to jahmanwife@hotmail.com

OK, if you are starting with SD DV material, the easiest way to output for additional editing and combining of Projects is to Share each Timeline for Personal Computer as DV-AVI w/ 48KHz 16-bit Audio. Those files will then Import easily into a DV NTSC, or PAL (depending on where you live) Project.

Do not Share to MPEG yet, as it is heavily compressed. DV-AVI is very lightly compressed, and one generation of DV-AVI will not degrade your material.

Thanks for the info, and that tells us what to recommend for those "intermediate files."

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - As of PrE 7, the Export function has become limited w/ only a very few specific uses - all other output was moved to the Share Tab.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 8:02 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I am seeing this issue as well.

Exporting or sharing as a AVI files doesn't work as some of the quality is lost and it is enough to mess up the titles and some pictures.

Being able to copy and paste across projects would be nice.

Exporting to a 100% lossless format and then importing into a new project would be nice.

I even tried the DOS copy command on the MP4s, AVIs and .prel files - no luck.

Thanks in advance for any tips or answers.

Tony

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 8:06 AM   in reply to VideoBloke

Tony,

Welcome to the forum.

If the 5% compression to DV-AVI (a very specific CODEC in the AVI wrapper) is causing issues, then see this article on ultimate quality intermediate files: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/875797?tstart=0

For Copy & Paste between Projects, one needs to add a Clipboard Extender, such as ClipMate. With such a Clipboard Extender, you then CAN Copy & Paste between Projects.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 8:44 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

G'day Hunt,

I have downloaded the ClipMate app and am trying to work it out at the moment - not straight forward from what I can see!

I will also go and have a look at the other article.

AVI is good, but not close enough for what I need.

Wish me luck.

Cheers

Tony

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 3:36 PM   in reply to VideoBloke

For the "ultimate" in intermediate files, I think that you will like Lagarith, or UT, as they are both lossless, but still offer some file size benefits beyond AVI Uncompressed.

There are a few threads on this forum, where some experienced users offer tips on using ClipMate. I have not used it, so cannot be of help. Seems that both Neale and Robert T. Johnson have done a couple of "step-by-step" replies on ClipMate.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 8:26 AM   in reply to VideoBloke

It's more straightforward than it seems. Take a look here: ClipMate Premiere Elements Copying Between Projects.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2012 5:55 PM   in reply to jahmanwife@hotmail.com

If one is planning on doing any additional editing, then I would not use MPEG (any flavor), as it is heavily-compressed, and each generation of compression WILL degrade the quality.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2012 6:55 PM   in reply to jahmanwife@hotmail.com

If you're going to be adding MPEGs to your project, make sure your project is set up properly (as you know if you've watched my Basic Training tutorials).

If your project is using the wrong settings, your video is going to have interlacing issues when you output it.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points