Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

how do you treat such picture?

Aug 11, 2012 4:24 AM

I have some scanned picture. (Actually they can also be photoed.)

Specifically, they are Chinese calligraphics.

They are color graphics although almost completely black.

Their border are hairy, no clear cut border.

My question is:

How do you transform their color?

The original color is black, almost black, not gray scale.

For design purpose, I would like to transform it into any desired color.

(The color need to match with other part of the graph.)

I cannot use color replacement, since it is not only one color. It is not only black.

I can only transform into some color, but not any arbitrary color since the black is too heavy,

which are the original color mounted with some other color.

I attached one such picture so that you may try it.

The paper used caused some background which can be easily removed by adjusting it contrast and black/white threshold.

http://forums.devnetwork.net/download/file.php?id=1593&sid=c04452d12d080bf1ee2a6157f9ba947d&mode=view

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 11, 2012 5:19 AM   in reply to w345

There's many, many ways.

I suggest the easiest is probably to go to Image>Adjustments>Hue/Saturation. Click the 'colorize box', increase the saturation and play with the hue slider until you find what you want.

PS. Wow, that is some enormous image you've attached!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2012 5:39 AM   in reply to w345

Another option is loading the composite channel or the channel with the best structure (by command clicking it in the Channels Panel), inverting the Selection, creating a Solid Color Layer and hiding the original Layer.

This Solid Color Layer will take the Selection as a Mask which can be edited with Curves or other Adjustment to increase contrast or change the white point.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2012 6:02 AM   in reply to w345

I'd use a mask and solid colour layer like Christoph says, but he beat me to it, so here's another option using colour in "Lighten" mode on top of pure black and white. The black and white was made by adding a "Threshold" adjustment to a desaturated version of your image.

calli1.png

calli2.png

calli3.png

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 11, 2012 8:13 AM   in reply to w345

Yet another approach:

Use the Dodge Tool set to Highlights and a small exposure value to carefully remove the remnants of the texture of the paper.

Image - Adjust - Black & White, then set the Tint option to set the color to what you want.  You could add a Black & White Adjustment Layer if changing pixel values isn't your thing.

Tint.jpg

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2012 8:24 AM   in reply to w345

1. The Layers panel can be opened from the Window menu. A keyboard shortcut may be seen in the menu, too.

2. Good question. My mistake: that step was unnecessary.

3. Lighten mode selects the lighter of two colours. All colours are lighter than black, so Lighten mode will use the layer's colour to replace the black pixels of the image below.

4. That is solved by using the masking method which Christoph suggested, and which would be my first choice. Invert the black and white image created by Threshold and use as a mask attached to the (blue) Color Fill layer in Normal mode, not Lighten. Put a (yellow) Color Fill layer underneath the masked (blue) layer.

Screen-shot-2012-08-12-at-16.22.45.png

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2012 8:27 AM   in reply to conroy

Since numerous ways of treating this image seems to be the theme let me add another.

1. FIx the background by double clicking on the image  layer and adjust  the Blend If Gray setting of This Layer: Move the right slider to some where around 220.

2. Go to the Channels panel and make an inverse luminance mask:  Control click on the thumbnail of the RGB channel and then do a Ctrl+Shift +I  to invert the selection.

3. Go to the layers panel and click on the icon  at the bottom to create a new adjustment layer - choose solid color layer and then choose the color for the characters.

4. In the layers panel Ctrl click on the Add new layer icon. Fill it with the background color of your choice.

Paulo

Capture.PNG

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2012 9:37 AM   in reply to w345

1. CS6

2. Instead of Threshold adjustment, desaturate then use Levels adjustment to fine tune the spectrum of black to white for use in the mask.

(That reminds me of why there was a superfluous desaturation in my first example. I had initially used a Levels adjustment then decided to post a solution with Threshold instead.)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2012 4:19 PM   in reply to w345

1. I thought you had already decided to not use Lighten mode because you want coloured background instead of white. It would greatly help if you presented an example of the effect which you wish to achieve.

2. There are formulaic methods to combine colours. Try Adobe Kuler:

http://kuler.adobe.com/#create/fromacolor

There's also a Kuler plug-in but it might not work in CS2.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2012 6:44 PM   in reply to w345

You've misunderstood. In the Lighten mode method, only the top layer is in Lighten mode and no image is inverted. In the masking method, the mask is an inversion and no layer is in Lighten mode.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2012 9:00 PM   in reply to w345

w345 wrote:

I am surprised they are two different methods.

There are many more methods that haven't been mentioned.

Cannot the same lighten layer method be extends to make the background?

I tried use the lighten method to created a forground and a background. And one choose

as layer the other choose multiply or darken they works. Although I really do not understand

what all these means.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/photoshop/cs/using/WSfd1234e1c4b69f30ea53e 41001031ab64-77eba.html

It seems your second method is just putting a yellow background on top of the blue color?

Why then do you need to invert it? Is that because the black is too dark?

The yellow background is underneath the blue calligraphy, not on top.

The inversion was for the mask which is attached to the blue layer. White reveals the corresponding pixels of the layer, black conceals them.

These steps sound like magic for me.

Don't worry. It will make sense as you gain experience.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2013 9:19 AM   in reply to w345

Look at my reply #8 with blue calligraphy on yellow background. Click the eye at left of background layer to make the layer invisible. Now you'll see the blue character surrounded by the checkered transparency grid.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 18, 2013 6:28 AM   in reply to w345

Conroy showed clearly how to put the character with surrounding transparency above a solid yellow background.  It could just as well be a graphic or composite of other layers below as that solid yellow fill layer.

Save it as a PSD or PNG file, which support the saving of transparency, and you can use it later to composite with other things e.g., in Photoshop by placing or pasting it as a layer over the top.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points