Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Illustrator 5 keeps freezing on me - "not responding"

Aug 11, 2012 9:34 AM

I have Master Suite 5 installed on a Windows 7 64bit Dell.

Starting several months ago, Illustrator has begun to temporarily freeze when I have an ai file open that has been inactive for a while. For example: If I start working on a file in Illustrator, then switch to something else for 20 minutes, then go back to edit the ai file, the program is unresponsive and eventually says, "Illustrator is not responding". If I wait 30-45 seconds, the app unfreezes and I am able to work again on the file. This is not a problem in any of the other Adobe programs and only started in Illustrator several months ago.  Before I go and reinstall the software, I was hoping somebody might have a suggestion.

Thanks,

Paul

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 11, 2012 11:53 PM   in reply to paper1246

Sounds normal. Windows is hibernating the program because obviously you don't have that much RAM and it needs to free up memory for otehr stuff. And since AI doesn't use a swap file, there is also no open file activity that would prevent Windows from behaving this way....

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 12, 2012 8:38 PM   in reply to paper1246

Is 8GB of RAM a lot of RAM in your opinion? You have to keep into account that you are running a 64 bit system and in doing so your applications, that are 64 bit can access a lot of RAM. So if you are runnig other applications which are 64 bit whike running Illustrator that might cause a problem. I myself have 17 GB and plan to make that 24 GB of RAM beacuse thought I can work quite fast on my MacPro it would work better with 24GB.

If you are running the Master Collection and use all the applications you might want to think about 32GBs, I know of some one who has 64GB and they say things fly on a 64 bit system when you have that amount of RAM.

Don't get angry with me fr telling you this bt it is the way of the future.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points