• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS6 Brush Lag

New Here ,
Aug 12, 2012 Aug 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried several fixes for this including disabling CL, changing cache settings, and reducing drawing mode from adavanced to basic. Nothing is working.

These are my specs..

Adobe Photoshop Version: 13.0 (13.0 20120315.r.428 2012/03/15:21:00:00) x64

Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit

Version: 6.1

System architecture: AMD CPU Family:15, Model:10, Stepping:0 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2, SSE3

Physical processor count: 6

Processor speed: 2693 MHz

Built-in memory: 6143 MB

Free memory: 4351 MB

Memory available to Photoshop: 5374 MB

Memory used by Photoshop: 83 %

Image tile size: 132K

Image cache levels: 4

OpenGL Drawing: Enabled.

OpenGL Drawing Mode: Basic

OpenGL Allow Normal Mode: True.

OpenGL Allow Advanced Mode: True.

OpenGL Allow Old GPUs: Not Detected.

Video Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.

Video Card Renderer: ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series

Display: 1

Display Bounds:=  top: 0, left: 0, bottom: 1050, right: 1680

Video Card Number: 1

Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series

OpenCL Version:

Driver Version: 8.980.0.0

Driver Date: 20120611000000.000000-000

Video Card Driver: aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx32,aticfx32,aticfx32,atiumd64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atidxx32,atidxx32,atiumdva,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll

Video Mode: 1680 x 1050 x 4294967296 colors

Video Card Caption: ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series

Video Card Memory: 1024 MB

Video Rect Texture Size: 16384

Photoshop scratch has async I/O enabled

Scratch volume(s):

C:\, 919.2G, 807.9G free

Another option suggested I disabled GL but the advanced interface did not have the open GL option visible in the same location as the guide.

I did not have brush lag until I started using the air brush. I did increase canvas size and make the file much larger but the lag did not happen until after I switched brush types. It is possible that I did not notice the lag until I switched.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How big is the canvas (in pixels horizontally x vertically)?

What mode and data depth (e.g., RGB, CMYK, grayscale; 8 bits/channel, 16 bits, etc.)?

How big is the brush in pixels?

What brush is selected?

You mentioned the airbrush option enabled.  What are the other settings? 

Ideally, a screenshot showing the whole desktop environment when you're brushing will be helpful.

Can you quantify the lag?  As in, "I click in the upper-left corner of the image, then shift-click in the lower-right corner, and it takes the brush x.y seconds to stroke across the image."  Be as accurate as you can; a 0.5 second lag is way different than a 5 second lag.

Be aware that very large brushes have to manipulate a huge number of pixels and can slow things down.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

horizontally 1512 vertically 1296

I didnt have airbrushing enabled. I was using the "airbrush." I think it was airbrush low density grainy at quite a large setting as I was working on blocking in a background color change. I believe in the area of 100 pixels. I also switched to one of the spatter brushes shortly after, similar in size. When I use the shift click option I approximate the lag from top left corner to bottom right corner is  4 seconds. It is quite a lot of lag. In photoshop CS5 my computer ran very large images without issue regardless of brush size. In fact I've done larger images by multiple times...several thousand pixels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

zuluworkspace.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, this is an issue of mixer brush. I restarted the program and becan painting. I thought I had fixed it because the lag seemed to disappear. I realized before the first stroke was complete that it was the paintbrush and not the mixerbrush I was using. I turned the mixerbrush back on, and the lag immediately comes back. The lag stays when I switch to back to paintbrush. It seems it has something to do with mixerbrush.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can update more. I recently reset my computer to factory settings to clean out my PC. If that could be the issue then I will go through and update all of those. I will also check the rest. Thank you for your help...it has been driving me nuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the detailed info.  Yes, that's unambiguously WAY slower than what I'm seeing.  I even pushed it up to 300 pixels and it just keeps up, no matter how quickly I brush around, with all the Brush settings maxed.  Something's definitely amiss on your setup.

I don't see too much wrong in your specs; your display driver is up to date.  An 83% Photoshop RAM limit might be a bit high for a 6 GB system, but I can't see how it would slow things consistently. 

I do see that you have not moved up to Windows 7 service pack 1.  Adobe does say they require SP1 for Photoshop CS6.  Did you avoid updating to SP1 for a reason?

Do you see the same slow speed if you temporarily disable the [  ] Use Graphics Processor setting (making sure to restart Photoshop after and before testing)?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2013 Feb 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having issues with laggy drawing and turning off the "Use Graphics Processor" completely fixed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That means that the slowdown was due to a bug in your video card driver.

Have you updated your video card driver from the GPU maker's website recently?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I always keep my GPU drivers up to date. It's a pretty decent card too, a Radeon HD 6750 (1GB).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AMD has had some driver issues recently. Try the 12.8 drivers, or 13.2 beta 5 or later (which fix most of the known issues).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a workaround, does the speed increase if you set the Spacing value (in the Brush Panel, in the Brush Tip Shape options) up a little bit?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL I cannot believe that fixed it. I moved it from 1 to 7%...it seems to be working. Thank you so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything was going well. I downloaded and installed the service pack. I opened my file and used a spatter brush for a couple of minutes. I decided to mess with some other brushes to play with the texture of the background. I selected "water color build up" brush and began to lag immediately after using it in the background. I restarted photoshop and resumed using the splatter brush but it continues to lag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah it seems I had to alter the tip of the brush again. Still, I wonder what causes the lag in the first place. Anyway, thank you again for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2014 Aug 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem and came across this youtube video that seems to help (but doesnt solve the problem): Solution to Adobe Photoshop CC Brush Lag Bug - YouTube

In the brush preset, increase spacing to greater than 2% (say 11%) and that does help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2014 Sep 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to necro this super old thread because it's the top result for "photoshop brush lag" in google. An artist I work with had a lot of brush lag when the GPU was enabled. He has recent drivers. He has a super fast computer, so it shouldn't be laggy. Disabling the GPU stuff helped a lot, but didn't solve the problem. He works in 4000x4000 pixel canvases. When he zooms in the problem is less pronounced.

Ultimately I found that some of his brushes were unaffected. I narrowed the affected brushes down to ones with the "Dual Brush" option enabled, and all of them had 1% spacing. Increasing the spacing on the Dual Brush setting removed the brush lag.

Hope other people find this useful! That much input delay is disgusting!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2016 Feb 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I FOUND A FIX!!!!

go to edit-preferences-performance-NOW UNTICK USE GRAPHICS PROCESSOR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2017 Mar 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mine is also not working, I have tried a lot of different things suggested on here and other places but it seems that it still lags and it messes up when i'm trying to draw and it has to load and I have to wait to see what I drew. Is there anything else that I could try to fix this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2017 Mar 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

mrskipm  wrote

mine is also not working, I have tried a lot of different things suggested on here and other places but it seems that it still lags and it messes up when i'm trying to draw and it has to load and I have to wait to see what I drew. Is there anything else that I could try to fix this problem?

Would you start a new thread please.  Tell us:

Photoshop version?

Operating system?

If you are using a tablet and if yes, which one?

Does the lag happen with both mouse and tablet (if you are using tablet)?

What the image and brush size are in pixels, that cause the lag, and try to explain how bad it is.

Lastly open Photoshop and go Help > System Info > Copy and paste to this thread with Ctrl v.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines