Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

What will happen to Contribute in the future?

Apr 10, 2012 11:10 AM

Tags: #contribute

I think Contribute has been discontinued or will not show up in the next CS. Reasons:

• In the CS5.5-to-CS6 free upgrade offer, It listed a few products that are not eligible for the upgrade: Acrobat, OnLocation, Flash Builder, Flash Catalyst and Contribute. Among them,
    • OnLocation cannot be purchased individually (so there should be no real reason for it to show up in the first place). Also, OnLocation is dead.
    • Acrobat and Flash Builder don't follow the CS release schedule (FB4 was out slight before CS5, close enough but still different).
    • Flash Catalyst is dead.

Since Contributeis an individual product that follows the CS release schedule, its exclusionmeans either it is excluded from CS in the future, or is outright killed.

• In the downloads report found in the Marketing Hub, assets for Ps, Ai, Id, Ic, Fl, Dw, Fw, Pr, Ae, En, Au, ExtendScript, AME, Extension Manager are all found, but not Contribute. Source

But then, the weekly downloads report mentioned the EOL of Device Central and OnLocation, but not Contribute.

And that is leaving me with the question on whether Contribute is still alive, and what is going on there.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 26, 2012 4:51 AM   in reply to nocturnal YL

Adobe Contribute is not part of CS6 but it will continue to be available as a point product. The Contribute engineering team will continue to provide updates and enhancements such as compatibility with Firefox, Internet Explorer, Windows 8, Mac OS X, and Microsoft Office and other workflows which are important to Adobe Contribute customers. The future roadmap for Contribute includes support for HTML5 and compatibility with new versions of Adobe Dreamweaver.

- Contribute Team

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2012 10:04 AM   in reply to Dominic Michael

Will sites designed using Dreamweaver CS6 still be editable by users using Contribute CS5 (or earlier)?

Also, when is Contribute 6 expected to be released?

Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 8:11 AM   in reply to nocturnal YL

In addition, Contribute is no longer available at a discount for academic purchases :-(

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 8:30 AM   in reply to AGP_Philly

AGP_Philly,

I have been using DW CS6 for a couple of weeks on a site where I still have users making updates using Contribute version 3. The "Administrate this site in Contribute" button in the DW CS6 site manager still opens the dialog after which Windows Task manager reports that Contribute.exe in the CS5.1 folder is running. Of course, I have the server set to use "Transition mode" and we do not use the Contribute Publishing Server.

The major difficulties in this environment with old versions of Contribute is the now-antiquated web client in version 3 not being able to display things as regular users see them. Version 5.1 is better, but not perfect. Using the browser plug-in helps some.

I am annoyed to have to reinstall Contribute from the CS5.5 Master Collection and not have it in the CS6 Master Collection. I had been hoping to entirely uninstall CS5.5 from this computer and just run CS6. As a developer, I'm not inclined to purchase my own copy of Contribute separately from CS6 just to be able to send clients screen captures for documentation. Unless Adobe restores Contribute's place alongside Dreamweaver for the CS bundles, I will probably steer future projects toward database-driven content management rather than using contribute. In fact, I have such a decision coming up this month that could go either way...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 5:04 AM   in reply to AGP_Philly

Will sites designed using Dreamweaver CS6 still be editable by users using Contribute CS5 (or earlier)?

Yes, it will be editable using CS5 or earlier version.

Also, when is Contribute 6 expected to be released?

Very Soon.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 5:55 AM   in reply to Dominic Michael

Thank you, Dominic.  It would be nice to have something more concrete than "Very soon", but I'll take what I can get.    One more question -- will Contribute 6 be offered at an academic discount?  Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2012 10:53 PM   in reply to AGP_Philly

For academic discount click on the "Student & teacher pricing"

academic.png

Message was edited by: Dominic Michael

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2012 11:17 PM   in reply to Dominic Michael

Dominic, you should actually try what you suggest before posting.

ContributeNoEdu.PNG

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2012 3:17 AM   in reply to davidhbrown

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2013 4:43 PM   in reply to nocturnal YL

I am having trouble with my website updates showing up properly in Internet Explorer.  Everything is fine with Chrome and Mozilla.  What do I need to do?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points