Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to join anchor points precisely

Aug 12, 2012 6:28 AM

Screen Shot 2012-08-12 at 6.21.18 AM.png

In the above image, I have four symmetrical corners of an ellipse which I'm trying to join together into one ellipse that is perfectly symmetrical. I am trying to line up the anchors perfectly (one corner at time) and then do a join, yet the result is always slightly off. I've been selecting the two points I want to join and using Path -> Average, then Path -> Join to do this, yet as mentioned it's not coming out precise. Does anyone know a better way to do this?

Thanks,

KiSS

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 12, 2012 6:56 AM   in reply to kissfrito@yahoo.com

Using the select tool and the "align to anchor point" setting, grab each of those paths by one of its endpoints and drag it onto the corresponding endpoint.

or: use the align panel to do this, distributing a space of 0 between two shapes. See manual on how to select one object as a reference object when distributing.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2012 7:24 AM   in reply to kissfrito@yahoo.com

Kiss,

You may also use the View>Smart Guides and drag one Anchor Point over the other. When you are there (close enough to have it snap), they say anchor point.

But if you have four (basically identical) segments they should fit easily. Are they identical?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2012 7:27 AM   in reply to kissfrito@yahoo.com

It's in the View menu.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2012 3:07 PM   in reply to kissfrito@yahoo.com

Kiss,

You may, using the Align/Distribute palette/panel (Window>Align):

0) If needed, under Align Objects select the two top quarters and Align>Vertical Align Top and select the two bottom quarters and Align>Vertical Align Bottom,

Then under Distribute Spacing and with the Direct Selection Tool:

1) Select the two top quarters, click the leftmost once more and Horizontal Distribute Space (with the default setting Auto), then select the coinciding end Anchor Points and Ctrl/Cmd+J (Smooth),

2) Repeat (similarly) for the bottom pair,

3) Select both halves, click the topmost once more and Vertical Distribute Space (with the default setting Auto), then select one set of coinciding end Anchor Points and Ctrl/Cmd+J (Smooth), then join the other set.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 7:07 AM   in reply to kissfrito@yahoo.com

You are welcome, Kiss.

Your version is undoubtedly newer.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status