Skip navigation
Stephanie USF
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign CS6 crashing and losing preferences

Jul 10, 2012 5:24 AM

I've had some terrible crashing in InDesign CS6 (and Acrobat). At least 2-3 times per day. When InDesign crashes, I lose my preferences and some of my workspace settings. Any fix for this?

Any fix for the crashing? It's inconsistent on when it crashes (saving, exporting, etc) and I've re-loaded the entire suite again. I'm running OSX Lion...

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 10, 2012 6:00 AM   in reply to Stephanie USF

Perhaps you are also being hit by this: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4548354

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 4:14 PM   in reply to Stephanie USF

You should try to figure out WHY your prefs keep going south. That's not normal.

And in the meantime, after you get things set up, make a bhackup copy of the prefs files and store it someplace safe so you can relaod them easily. See Replace Your Preferences

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 6:43 AM   in reply to Stephanie USF

Most of the stuff that you are losing is stored in the InDesign Defaults file, not the SavedData file (that one saves the open recent list and the last state of a lot of stuff, but not the basic options you set in the prefs, or your document and print presets, which ARE saved in inDesign Defaults), so if that's the only one you can find, you'll at least get most things, and letting ID rewrite SavedData on close is not a big deal.

That said, I wish I could tell you why you aren't seeing any InDesign stuff in youtr cache, but I can't, and I'm a Windows user so not as up on Mac idiosyncracies as I probably should be.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 6:46 AM   in reply to Stephanie USF

And the next time you get a crash, please post it on pastebin.com and put a link to it here. Maybe we can figure out what the cause of the crash is.

With absolutely no information toi go on I'll go out on a limb and suggest it very well could be font related. It won't hurt to run a font utility to look for damaged fonts, nor will it hurt to clear the font caches. Do you run a font manager?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 7:11 AM   in reply to Stephanie USF

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2012 8:36 AM   in reply to Stephanie USF

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 8:34 PM   in reply to Stephanie USF

Hi,

Although I have no answer as to why your ID keeps crashing, you can do this to restore your settings.

Frist try resetting your preference as you did by restarting ID, then set your preferences again, then quit ID.

Then go to the below directories and make a copy of the file "InDesign SavedData" and store it somewhere else.

Users/[user]/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign/Version [version]/InDesign SavedData

If you happen to crash again and lose your settings, quit ID then replace the file in the above directory with your backup.

Hope that helps.

Message was edited by: j3n0

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 9:44 AM   in reply to Stephanie USF

They will be in your MacHD/Users/<yourusername>/Library/ folder but with OS10.7, the user Library folder is now a hidden folder. See here

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/access-hidden-user-library-f iles.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 9:46 AM   in reply to Stephanie USF

Stephanie,

Google how to show hidden files on OS X...

Did you try the link I posted above for fixing a crash in 10.7.4?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 4:27 PM   in reply to Stephanie USF

Stephanie,

You need to go to the User Library, not the System, Library. To go there in Finder, press option then select "Go" menu, that will show the user Library folder and then you can to the respective folders.

For your crashing issue, always check for any updates by going to Indesign then from the Help > Updates

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 5:24 AM   in reply to Stephanie USF

A couple of things. When I asked if you had tried the work-around for crashing above you said you weren't seeing blank dialogs, but I don't know if you actually downloaded and installed the files. I'm not sure you would notice the dialogs if you have the problem - they apparently flash by very fast before the crash.

It's possible, given the new error message, that you have some corrupt data in the recovery folder and ID is now in a vicious cycle of crashing when it tries to recover the bad file. The recovery folder is also hidden, but should be in the same place you found InDesign SavedData. Please rename it to _InDesign Recovery and see if ID will start.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 5:36 AM   in reply to Stephanie USF

If it stopped crashing, I think you can leave the recovery folder alone for now.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 6:15 AM   in reply to Stephanie USF

Stephanie, I think I already mentioned that the Saved Data file is only one-half of the preferences set, and not the half that holds the things you keep resetting. Complete instructions are at Replace Your Preferences

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 8:45 AM   in reply to Stephanie USF

What other programs, inconsequential as you might think they are, do you have open?

Do you have a font manager, or any other plugins from other vendors installed for ID? Constant crashing is far from the norm for CS6 and it almost always turns out to be some sort of system conflict on your computer if the procedures you've already tried are not working.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 9:02 AM   in reply to Stephanie USF

Crashing in ID does not normally come with the territiory unless there is something wrong with a file. I don't think I see a crash in ID other than from a corupt file I'm testing more than once a year, if that.

I'm on Windows, so my experience is differnt from yours, but I'd try turning off Stickies, AIM chat, Yahoo Messenger, and iTunes to start. What is "browse" in that list?

You aren't running Hiss, are you? lots of other users reporting problems with it.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 9:53 AM   in reply to Stephanie USF

Stephanie. Did you ever get this resolved? I have been using ID since 2.0 and since I upgraded to CS6 this has been happening.  VERY frustrating having to reset all my preferences every time.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 10:15 AM   in reply to Stephanie USF

The only common app that I use is itunes.

Maybe I will listen to pandora for a while and see if that helps me. Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Aug 21, 2013 5:34 AM   in reply to Stephanie USF

I'm having this issue just recently. If I have a file open on a server, and the server goes down (which it does every night, who knows why), I lose my prefs and have to reset them. It's been a year since this discussion and it's sad to see that there's still no real fix (at least none posted here).

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2013 7:22 PM   in reply to Joe Duhamel

Are you actually working on these files when the server goes down, or are you a glutton for punishment and just don't bother to close them?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2013 5:10 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

I keep several working files open all the time, in Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign. It's always easier to leave them open and quickly jump to them for changes, updates etc. Then at night I leave them open and at some point the server will have gone down, affecting only InDesign. Up until recently, it's been a mild annoyance. I have to force-quit InDesign and restart it. No problems, files that were open are open again. But now (and this is within the past month), InDesign loses it's preferences. My inches preference reverts back to points. Dialog boxes that were checked "Do not show this again" are popping up again. So I have to run through the whole process of closing the open files, setting prefs, quitting, etc.

Call it glutton for punishment if you wish, but that's my workflow and again, only recently has this started happening. The server going down is a separate issue that we've been working to resolve for most of a year (different department).

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2013 5:26 AM   in reply to Joe Duhamel

Well, I think you know the answer (and you probably even know that leaving the other files open is a bad work habit, too. Bad things can happen at any time and destroy your work. Why expand the risk by leaving stuff open when you aren't actually working with it?).

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2013 5:29 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

That doesn't solve the problem, only treats the symptom.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2013 8:04 AM   in reply to Joe Duhamel

Well the problem is on your end with the network, isn't it? Sure there may be a bug in ID (or for all I know it might do this by design -- Adobe always used to say that ID was not designed to work with files not stored locally and I haven't seen anything that says that's cahnged), but unless or until that gets changed in ID you have no options other than treating the symptoms, and the best treatment options are to stabilize the network or reduce your exposure by shutting down ID. If you keep banging your head against a brick wall you shouldn't complain that you have a headache.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2013 8:15 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

The problem is recent. It didn't lose prefernces before, under the exact same scenario. And since it's not an unheard of issue, I was wondering if there was a solution to the problem (yet). Suggesting the workaround, which was well known before hand, isn't helpful.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points