Skip navigation
natelongseattle
Currently Being Moderated

Is there a way to download anything but .pro files exported from Proto to Creative cloud?

May 11, 2012 9:19 AM

Tags: #export #proto #adobe_proto

I just bought Proto for iPad, and when I exported my document to Creative Cloud, the only option I have in the "Choose a file format for download" dropdown is "Original," which is (as far as I can tell) an unusable file if you're not interested in Dreamweaver. Is there a way to export a PDF, PNG, or ZIP? If not, then Proto is basically worthless for me.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 12, 2012 5:39 AM   in reply to natelongseattle

You only need to change the extension. (.pro to .zip) and decompress. Then you will see the files you need

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 6:46 AM   in reply to Rafael Tuduri Amengual

Anyway to get a .png to continue work in Fireworks?

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 7:32 AM   in reply to Rafael Tuduri Amengual

When I change "Project 1.pro" to "Project 1.zip" then double-click it on OSX I get another file named "Project 1.zip.cpgz". Double clicking "Project 1.zip.cpgz" gives me "Project 1 2.zip".

Is there something I'm missing?

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 8:18 AM   in reply to Dan Poynor

Figured it out. Instead of using the OSX default "Archive Utility.app" I used "7zX.app" and that created the assets:

mimetype

Pages_Thumbnails/

Index.jpg

project.xml

renditions/

html.zip

icon.jpg

preview.jpg

source.jpg

thumbnail.jpg

tile.jpg

Expanding "html.zip" then gives me:

bgimg.gif

Index.css

Index.html

jQuery/

jquery-1.4.4.js

themes/

ui/

|
    Mark as:
  • Takashi Morifusa
    87 posts
    Nov 12, 2008
    Jun 1, 2012 10:27 PM   in reply to Dan Poynor

Adobe Proto Extension for Dreamweaver is now avaiable.

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/protoextension/

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2012 12:09 PM   in reply to natelongseattle

natelongseattle - Check out the rest of this thread to learn about changing the extension from .pro to .zip to extract files. The Dreamweaver extension was mentioned in only the latest comment. It's not the only way.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2012 4:01 PM   in reply to natelongseattle

If we could drag .pro archives onto BBEdit and TextMate to create Project windows that could be useful.

Maybe it's possible to create a BBEdit extension to fully extract the .zip archive within the .pro archive automatically so people can drag and drop. I'd have to investigate.

PNG screenshots or PDF exports might be good for emailing or presenting work.

I'd be curious about other workflows too though.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2012 12:42 AM   in reply to Dan Poynor

I tried this but I ended up with a file with both .zip and .cpgz?

Now what am I suppose to do with that?

All I want to do is open the .pro file.

I have Dreamweaver 11.0 and the installs wont install because its not 11.0 or greater?

It's a reall pain!

Any suggestions as to solving these two things?

Thanks in advance.

|
    Mark as:
  • Takashi Morifusa
    87 posts
    Nov 12, 2008
    Aug 13, 2012 10:17 AM   in reply to RandyR139

Proto v1.5 is now avaiable for iPad.

You can email zip attachement now.

Thanks,

Takashi

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2012 8:43 AM   in reply to Takashi Morifusa

Takashi:

I am an enthusiastic 'Creative Cloud' member and upon learning of 'Proto' downloaded same to my iPad and also visited 'the Lab' to download the 'Dreamweaver' utility.  I must say, however, that my first impression as a 30 year senior marketer is that this is more of a Beta launch at best and at worst a poorly documented (comprehensive instructions are virtually non-existent) effort.

I too had to logically try a variety of actions to get my initial multi-page doc from Proto into Dreamweaver. On the iPad, I was quite satisfied to be informed that the sync had occurred, yet I had to hunt to find the file. I wasn't sure if I'd find it in my current "site root" or where? After a bit of back and forth I found the file in the 'Creative Cloud' file area but then had to experiment to see how I could 1) get the files into 'Dreamweaver', which I did! though (the wireframe does not display as expected). On a 70" 16/9 format monitor the wireframe in design mode is all jumbled up at the bottom of the display. I've not yet gotten to the point or resolving this issue (too much on my plate to spend a lot of additional time experimenting to find a solution to this display problem). And 2) How can I get the Proto doc in front of both my team and ultimately in front of my client(s) with greater polish?

Further I figured out a way to dissemble the zip file and then print the pages I needed for client review last night.

This product has terrific potential but should be well documented at the very least, supported by both a PDF op manual and maybe even a few videos to guide the new user into rapid workflow adoption or rather integrating 'Proto' into existing workflow(s). The comments about being able to place images into the grey boxes (Div spaces) is basic and certainly something that should be done ASAP to make the product do more than an etch-e-sketch.  Naw, that's not fair - a cheap shot, but seriously this thing should be available to show to clients, should be able to be useful within Dreamweaver such that the CSS files can be edited to speed an actual project from Proto ->Dreamweaver to testing server.  Easy dump of actual pages designed in Proto into a PDF doc that can be sent to clients is a no-brainier. 

The guys who are chiming in now have some great ideas and I'm sure your team sees all sorts of terrific potential for 'Proto' with refinement. It's interesting to me that you thought enough to make a demo video actually play, but neglect every other area by leaving us stuck with various shades of grey for the wireframes.  Might have been a good idea to hold launch until this thing is better fleshed out and supported.

Ok, I feel better now. Got this off my chest because after all I think Adobe has the same kind of potential that Apple had when Steve returned. You've got some fantastic products and the Cloud package is pure genius! I'm lovin it. So please kick it into high gear, we all want this thing to rock! It has all of the potential, without a doubt.  Best. Rick Carroll, Knoware Media

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points