Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Masking image in Indesign

Aug 7, 2012 8:01 AM

Tags: #masking

Hi there,

I searched the web about masking object in ID, but the way I found seems a bit odd, so I feel there has to be some other, elegant way... Just additional info: I do package for socks.

What I have:
Plain imported PSD: paper texture.

IMG 01

01_Source.jpg

Shape of the final cut area in Ai format:

IMG 02

03_Shape.jpg

What I want:

I need to mask this imported file following the shape which I have in the Ai-file. Result should look like this:

IMG 03

02_WhatIWant.jpg

So I realized, that the only way is to group the texture and the vector shape, put the shape abowe the texture, turn opacity of the shape to 0% and apply the Knockout effect on the entire group. But the result looks like vector shape determines, where the rexture will NOT be visible. So I miss there some Invert option.

IMG 04

04_badResult.jpg

The only solution I found is this disgusting recipe:

1} Go to Illustrator, set the fill of the object to none and the outer outline to 500 pt:

IMG 05

05_finalSolution.jpg

2} I had to precisely adjust the bounding frame of the paper texture PSD to prevent overflow.

3} Now the result looks finally like IMG 03, but I spent lots more time on masking comparing to Ps or Ai and the way I got there seems a bit odd to me. Especially the "solution" which you can see on IMG 05

Thanks for your comments in advance guys. I hope for some elegant solution!

Bye

Replies

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points