Skip navigation
GeeBee1111111
Currently Being Moderated

Direct editing of raw file from LR in Camera Raw?

Aug 13, 2012 4:19 PM

Tags: #raw #lightroom4

Does anyone know if it is possible to take a camera raw file from lightroom and open it directly in Camera Raw for editing rather than use the editing in LR itself. I thought I read somewhere that it is possible to do this as an automatic setting - when choosing the "edit in Photoshop" menu option a raw file will be opened in Camera Raw and the changes tracked in LR. I prefer the Camera Raw interface in Ps so am hoping I can do this and then proceed on to Ps if I need to do further processing.  I am using LR4 and Ps6 on a Mac with the latest updates.  I am a recent convert to LR/Ps from Aperture so am still learning. Any help appreciated. Cheers

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 13, 2012 4:41 PM   in reply to GeeBee1111111

I think you'll have to just open the image from Photoshop, rather than going through LR (though in LR of course you could right-click on the image and click on "show in finder" to find the file). In LR prefs there's only options for TIF and PSD in the external editing section (but maybe someeone else knows a way to do what you want to do).

There are some things PS does that you can't do in LR, but the Develop module in LR is really quite good once you get used to it--I only rarely go into PS for editing.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 13, 2012 4:59 PM   in reply to GeeBee1111111

I would recommend exploring several of the free tutorials  on the Adobe TV web site, before deciding on a specific workflow. LR Develop Module does the same things that ACR Plugin does in PS, the major difference being LR stores the info in the LR Catalog while ACR stores the info in .xmp sidecar files or within the DNG file if you are using that option. The link to the tutorials is

http://tv.adobe.com/show/the-complete-picture-with-julieanne-kost/

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points