Skip navigation
litarollins
Currently Being Moderated

Task Manager Running 2 Adobes?

Aug 9, 2012 9:57 PM

Should my task manager be showing TWO adobe flash players  running when I play facebook games?  Only ONE browser is open and only ONE game is being played. Thanks for help on confirming this so I can be sure I don't have two going at same time.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 9, 2012 10:45 PM   in reply to litarollins

[topic moved to Flash Player forum]

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 2:51 AM   in reply to litarollins

It was moved to the Flash Player forum; the link should have appeared in the forum notification email message.

Here is your topic: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1047382

Since you mention Task Manager I assume that you are on Windows.  What are the processes showing in TM?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 3:15 AM   in reply to litarollins

If you are on a 64-bit system, Flash Player will automatically install both 32-bit and 64-bit players.

AboutJava (JRE), you need to manually install both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

Regarding FlashPlayerPlugin_11_3_300_270.exe - I actually do not know what that is...  On my system I have something 'FlashUtil32_11_3_300_270_Plugin.exe', but it is not actively running.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 3:50 AM   in reply to litarollins

Here is another suggestion for tomorrow...

Do a clean install, as per the instructions in http://forums.adobe.com/thread/928315, then download the offline installers from http://helpx.adobe.com/content/help/en/flash-player/kb/installation-pr oblems-flash-player-windows.html#main-pars_header and save them to disk.  Close all browser windows, then run the downloaded installers.

P.S. the Flash Player browser add-on is called Shockwave Flash.

You are on Windows 7 64-bit?

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Aug 10, 2012 12:34 PM   in reply to Pat Willener

This is expected.  You should see two Flash Player processes running in the task manager.  This is how Protected Mode in Firefox works.  One process is the broker, which is really small and is basically used to pass messages back and forth to the low-integrity Flash Player process.  The low-integrity process doesn't have permission to do much, but does all of the heavy lifting in terms of processing the content you see on the web.  If malicious content is able to crash and take control of the Flash Player process, it can't really do anything with it, because it's running with low permissions.

You can read more about what Protected Mode is, and how it works here: Inside Flash Player Protected Mode for Firefox

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Aug 13, 2012 4:58 PM   in reply to litarollins

Details and troubleshooting steps for protected mode can be found here:

How do I troubleshoot Flash Player's protected mode for Firefox?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points