Skip navigation
koniosis
Currently Being Moderated

Converted to DNG but LR4 sees .dng files as RAW?

Aug 13, 2012 4:46 PM

Hey,

I converted a bunch of photos today from Canon CR2 to DNG using the Library->Convert Photos to DNG option and chose to delete originals. firstly LR decided not to delete the originals, which is VERY annoying as I ended up with two copies of every photo and it is very nerve racking manually deleting the CR2 originals in the unsure knowledge the the DNGs are the working versions!

Anyway, the real issue seems to be that LR thinks all the .dng files that it is now using are actually RAW files, if I use the Metadata filter and choose Filetype as the first column it shows RAW for all the latest files I converted, when I click it, it lists all the .dng files, saving metadata on these files works correctly so they really are DNG files but for some reason LR won't filter or show them as DNG. This is strange, I have other photos that are also DNG format and the metadata filter works correctly for these, it is only the latest batch I converted that it refuses to list as DNG filetype.

Is there a way to 'force' LR to recognise that these files really are DNG and not RAW. If I choose the "Convert Photos to RAW" again on one of these DNG files it then creates a '.swp' file as well as the original .dng and I am again left with two copies of every photo grrrrr!! But converting the current DNGs to DNGs again seems to cause the metadata filter etc. to work and see them as DNGs but I have many photos now in this situation and I don't want to convert them all to DNG AGAIN and then manually go and delete all these .swp files, I don't like going round deleting thousands of photos manually as I'm always paranoid of deleting the wrong ones.

Could this be related/caused by me having all my photos stored on a network drive (does this explain why LR refuses to delete the originals and leaves 1000s of .swp files everywhere for me to manually go and tidy up grrrRRRR!)??

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 13, 2012 5:33 PM   in reply to koniosis

A DNG file IS a RAW file, just in a different format.  I don't know the answer to why you couldn't automatacally delete the originals but why would it be nerve racking to manually delete the originals but not be nerve racking to automatically delete them.  I do not convert to DNG but I would think you  would want to know if they were OK before deleting the original CR2's.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 6:58 PM   in reply to koniosis

To the OP: you obviously haven't understood the purpose and the concept of using DNG files. They contain the raw image data that was in the original CR2 file, unchanged, ready to be modified with all of the excellent raw editing tools in Lightroom. The DNG file format simply puts that raw image data into a common or "standardized" file format. I personally don't like converting to DNG. But that's just my preference. If you were converting to DNG to get away from raw files, then apparently you don't understand the advantage of working with raw image data and need to do some reevaluating of your workflow.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 10:29 PM   in reply to JimHess

I have seen this with the odd file several times. Now I can't find any - I think it may be to do with rendering previews at the same time as conversion.I'm sure that running the DNG conversion once more may help.

As to the CR2's not being deleted, that will be a permissions/trash issue with your network drive.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 10:30 PM   in reply to Geoff the kiwi

Bob and Jim - this can happen where a DNG is listed as a raw rather than a DNG in Fil Type filtering.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 10:47 PM   in reply to Geoff the kiwi

Geoff,  thanks for clearing that up for me.  As I don't use DNG's, I didn't realize the different filtering options.  I can see now where this is a problem for the OP and others having this issue. 

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 10:51 PM   in reply to Bob Somrak

No worries Bob, it is a funny thing !!

|
    Mark as:
  • Andrew Rodney
    1,388 posts
    Apr 16, 2009
    Aug 14, 2012 7:14 AM   in reply to Geoff the kiwi

Geoff the kiwi wrote:

I have seen this with the odd file several times. Now I can't find any - I think it may be to do with rendering previews at the same time as conversion.I'm sure that running the DNG conversion once more may help.

As to the CR2's not being deleted, that will be a permissions/trash issue with your network drive.

I’ve seen this too so the OP may be undestanding things perfectly and running into a little bug that has been around for awhile. To repeat what Geoff and the OP have stated, I’ve seen cases where original proprietary raws (in my case CR2) are asked to be converted. They ARE converted. But LR sees them using a smart collection or other metadata search methods as being proprietary raws! The documents are DNGs. LR just is confused. Happens from time to time, not sure what the cause and effects are. Running the conversion again didn’t fix the few images on this side. And I’ve seen the permissions issues that disallow trashing of the original raws or sidecar files.

|
    Mark as:
  • Andrew Rodney
    1,388 posts
    Apr 16, 2009
    Aug 15, 2012 5:31 PM   in reply to koniosis

koniosis wrote:

Tried upgrading to version 4.1, doesn't fix it. Tried creating a new catalog and importing from the old one, new one imports the problem! Got 2000 photos in this state :/ is there a way to report a bug to Adobe?

While LR is confused, I don’t know there is an issue in terms of moving forward. The DNG’s are DNGs and act as such. As I wrote, I’ve seen this odd behavior and have no idea what the cause or solution is. But it hasn’t affected the use of the files. It does screw up some of my Smart Collections (Find all DNG’s). Otherwise, I’m not too concerned. I did report this issue to the LR team in the past. I might have even send them the files.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2012 9:09 AM   in reply to koniosis

Just encountered a similar bug with LR4.   I like to ultimately convert to DNG.    My workflow is to first import as RAW because that is faster than DNG converstion while importing.    I select a batch of photos and then select CONVERT TO DNG.    The preference window gives me an option of only converting RAW photos.   However, if in the big batch that I have selected there photos that are DNG, JPG, PSD, as well as RAW LR4 appears to reprocess/reconvert the DNG files in addition to converting the RAW files.    LR4 does not attempt to process the JPG or PSD.      Thus, LR4 is seeing DNG as RAW.    My workaround was to use the filter to select the real RAW images.   It seems for me that the filter recognizes the difference between RAW and DNG-- thank goodness or I would have a great deal of busy work on my hands.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points