Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Unexpected Tempo & Pitch Changes

Aug 11, 2012 12:17 PM

I recently had to set up a new computer for use as my DAW. AA installed fine and all works, however, upon playing any WAV file, the pitch and tempo are not as they are supposed to be. They play back faster. This even happens when opening session files. Any suggestions?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 11, 2012 4:20 PM   in reply to rendermanfl

What sound card are you using? Sounds as if Windows might have had it's own idea as to what the sample rate was set to as opposed to what you thought Audition expecting. How far out is the pitch and timing? If you have Windows Sounds turned on turn them off as any sounds that Windows tries to play, like email arrival, will change the sample rate to play without asking for  Audition's approval,

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 14, 2012 1:06 AM   in reply to rendermanfl

W7 resampling is an unholy nightmare. It does it without asking you, and it doesn't do a very good job of it, although there's a downloadable M$ patch that helps somewhat...

I think that the only realistic answer to these problems is to decide to work at one rate only, and using your sound device's options panel, lock the card to it. You may also have to set it as a default in the Sounds section of the OS. If you do all of your recording at this rate, then it should all play back at that rate.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points