Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Non-destructive mirroring with stroke

Aug 13, 2012 9:46 PM

Tags: #transform #path #add #editing #game #stroke #outline #appearance #comic #gameart #non-destructive

I’m trying to achieve this…

Screen Shot 2012-08-13 at 9.32.30 PM.png

…but with Appearances, so that I can still edit the graphic later, say if I wanted to do something like this (alt+drag to dupe an item within the group)…

Screen Shot 2012-08-13 at 9.34.49 PM.pngScreen Shot 2012-08-13 at 9.34.03 PM.png(desired outcome in outline mode)

Anyone know how to do this non-destructively, so that I don’t have to recreate the black stroke around the whole thing every time I want to make a change?

Steps I take to do this now:

1. Create the two squares, group them, and create an appearance (fx>transform) to reflect x with one copy (mirroring the object along the left side).
  2. Expand the appearance.
  3. Copy all, paste behind, add the paths together, and add the black stroke.

This gets me what I want to see, but it's a pain in the neck to edit/modify/polish. I want to get the stroke around both objects in the group and still be able to non-destructively (i.e. don't expand appearance) modify the group with updating the stroke and the reflection. Can it be done? Without a script?

Cheers,

_Petros

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 13, 2012 11:48 PM   in reply to Petros_

I made you a file sample - it's easier than explaining

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/40428991/mirroring.ai

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 1:20 AM   in reply to Petros_

Just add a new stroke to the group via the Appearance panel then move the stroke below the <contents> item on the Appearance Panel.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 2:30 AM   in reply to Petros_

Petros,

What Scott said with the addition that you need to set the Stroke Weight to twice the resulting width of the surrounding stroke.

Obviously, this may be hidden in the dropbox sample by Emil, to be seen by those with a sufficiently new version to see what is actually in it.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 9:09 AM   in reply to Petros_

Also, if you check the outlined view, the left side of the top squire is open (not closing the path). This prevents having a stroke in the middle of the resulting top shape.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points