Skip navigation
h.j.schuetze@t-online.de
Currently Being Moderated

File size doubles from Photoshop CS 5.0/5.1 to CS6

Aug 14, 2012 1:53 AM

Hi there,

if this has been covered already I´m sorry, but anyway...

Working on a iMac27 with 12Gb Ram. Recently upgraded Photoshop from CS5.0 to 5.1, then shortly thereafter to CS6. What I noticed is that the file size of opened files with layers roughly doubles from CS 5.0/5.1 to 6.0. Everything seems to stay the same with a single-layer file, but not with files with several layers. Opening and saving files seems to have slowed down somewhat, but not drastically, but having a file with fomerly 1,5Gb suddenly increasing to 3,4Gb size is somewhat problematic because of limited Ram, because it effectively limits the amount of layers I can pack into one image file.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 14, 2012 2:28 AM   in reply to h.j.schuetze@t-online.de

You will need to describe exactly what you are doing, i e when does the file size increase and where are you seeing it, for example.

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,043 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Aug 14, 2012 2:56 AM   in reply to h.j.schuetze@t-online.de

Hello, are those document 16bits? did you add the plugin to disable flate compression? http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/save-psd-psb-images-compression.ht ml

Another possible cause would be the compatibility checkbox when you save.

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,043 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Aug 14, 2012 2:59 AM   in reply to h.j.schuetze@t-online.de

Are the settings in the infobar the same?

The filesize is the uncompressed one. Maybe is there a way to compute the data that would be different from CS6 and CS5.

Did you check on the hard drive if the file size changes?

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,043 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Aug 14, 2012 3:40 AM   in reply to h.j.schuetze@t-online.de

Hello,

first, if you don't want spam, I urge you to change your user name.

Then the only issue is the way the filesize is reported in the info bar, if they are set the same way in CS5 and CS6. Maybe is the info computed differently in CS6 But given the fact that the filesize is the same on disk, you have a non-issue.

The disable flate compression would disable the compression for 16bits files, that would make way bigger files on your hard drive, but if your disk subsystem is very fast (SSDs), would be faster to save and open, rather than to compress/decompress on the flly during the saving/opening steps..

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 2:05 PM   in reply to h.j.schuetze@t-online.de

The file sizes you see on disk are compressed. When you open the file in Photoshop, the file is uncompressed and you will see that the reported size may double, triple, or change to some other multiple. This is normal and expected. You should see the exact same info when you open the file in CS5.

As a test, open a file created in PSCS5/5.1, don't make any changes and use Save As to make a copy. Then compare the original CS5 file with the new CS6 copy. You likely won't see any change in file size.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 14, 2012 7:12 PM   in reply to h.j.schuetze@t-online.de

I have a moderately large, multi-layer (something like 45 layers) image on hand.  It's 1.1 GB on disk...

ImageStats.jpg

When opened in Photoshop CS5 and CS6 in succession I see these things:

Photoshop CS5:

PsCS5DocSizes.jpg

Photoshop CS6:

PsCS6DocSizes.jpg

The file actually opened a few seconds faster on Photoshop CS6.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 16, 2012 3:06 AM   in reply to h.j.schuetze@t-online.de

Not to make you work even harder, but could you please put up screenshots of your Performace preference dialogs from both apps?  Also the Info panels, Layers panels, anything else that shows info about the document...  Ideally the whole screen.

I'm just thinking there must be a settings difference or something that explains the difference.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2012 4:30 PM   in reply to h.j.schuetze@t-online.de

Cache levels is the number of copies of your file opened at once. Why have multiple copies open at once? Well, each cache level is a different zoom of your image, so you can zoom in and out quickly without Photoshop having to generate a new version of your file at the given zoom size. So this take more space on the disk when the file is opened. Increasing and decreasing cache levels is about performance in overall memory usage vs. being able to zoom in and out quickly. (And these are standard zoom sizes like 50% and 200%, etc)

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Sep 7, 2012 4:38 PM   in reply to Brett N

Brett N wrote:

So this take more space on the disk when the file is opened.

Brett, please check into this, but as far as I know the Cache Levels setting doesn't affect the file size on disk.  It's all about RAM.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2012 2:31 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Right, Cache size will not effect the size of the file on disk. The cached levels do not get saved with the document, they are just used while the file is open in Photoshop and are thrown out when the file is closed. So it's all about RAM (unless you run out of RAM and move into Scrach disk).

And in reference to my and the OP's comments on why I was explaining about Cache Levels, when looking at the screen shots in post #10 above, the number on the left is the amount of memory that the file is using while open in Photoshop, the number on the right is the amount of memory available to Photoshop to fix said file into. So the "doubling in size" is actually that CS6 has more space to work with, not that the file is opening any larger. The important number, the first one which represents the size of the document, is the exact same between versions, which is as it should be. So this just illustrates how different performance settings in Photoshop can change some of these numbes.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2012 3:33 PM   in reply to Brett N

Brett N wrote:

... the number on the left is the amount of memory that the file is using while open in Photoshop ...

Observation reveals that to be incorrect.

The number on the left appears to be the number of bytes consumed by an uncompressed composite with the canvas size, colour channel-count and channel bit-depth.

The memory consumption can be hugely greater than that when a document contains off-canvas regions, multiple layers, alpha channels, masks, etc.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2012 4:29 PM   in reply to conroy

That is correct Conroy, so I should clarify. The number on the left is the amount ofmemory that Photoshop is using to display the file while it open. You will notice that this value will change when using the crop tool to reduce or increase the canvas size, whether or not you delete the cropped pixels.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points