Skip navigation
Brian Querry
Currently Being Moderated

Pixelation/Horizontal Lines burning DVD in Premiere Elements 10

Aug 13, 2012 5:46 AM

I am trying to burn a DVD in Adobe Premiere Elements 10.  The original footage is in 1920x1080 from a Canon HD camcorder.  I just burned a project last week that burned fine.  This one is burning with horizontal lines that appear to be "pixelating" the faces of people in the video.  I've tried interlacing, reversing field dominance, and exporting to an mpeg first, but all with the same result.  When I make the footage into an mpeg, it is crystal clear on the screen.  As soon as I burn it to DVD, it messes up.  I have a feeling it has to do with the program not appropriately converting it to the correct format for DVD, but appear to be missing something.  Any suggestions?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 13, 2012 3:05 PM   in reply to Brian Querry

What model of camcorder is your original footage from?

Which project settings did you select when you set up your Premiere Elements project?

If you Share/Computer/AVI with the DV settings, are those lines there?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 5:13 PM   in reply to Brian Querry

As a test... export to widescreen DV AVI and then import that AVI to a new project and create a DVD

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 4:45 AM   in reply to Brian Querry

Are you judging this DVD quality when played on a TV and standalone DVD player? It should look fine there.

If you're playing it on your computer, a number of issues could be at work. Most computer playback software doesn't de-interlace well. (DVDs are interlaced, most TVs are interlaced and computers are not.)

So try it on your TV/DVD player. And, if you want to give it a test run on your computer, play it with a program like VLC Media Player, which does a better than average job of de-interlacing. But don't play it at full-screen. DVDs are only the equivalent of 640x480 in size, while computer monitors are usually at least 4 times that resolution and can exaggerate issues.

All of this would expain why you're not seeing this interlacing issue when you output a WMV.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 8:18 AM   in reply to Brian Querry

That "workaround" is a very popular one for many PrE users. PrE offers limited, and linear DVD/BD authoring, where DVD Architect is a full-featured authoring app., that allows much more intricate navigation.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 2:32 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Although something is very wrong somewhere in your workflow. DVD Architect and Premiere Elements both use the same Main Concept codec and the same transcoding method. Your results should be virtually identical.

But what's important is that you found a solution.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 4:18 PM   in reply to Brian Querry

Before going with FCPx, you might want to see these videos:

http://teamcoco.com/video/conan-editors-love-final-cut (note: ad before Video)

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 2:06 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Brian,

Thanks for that workaround!  I ran into the exact same problem of low-res DVD output from PrE 10, the very day that you posted..

Not only deos Sony DVD Architect 5 solve that problem, but it also allowed me to construct a usable DVD menu, which PrE was also making impossible for me.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points