Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Problem setting Home URL

Aug 14, 2012 7:53 AM

I inherited a project whose output is WebHelp Pro.

When the user clicks Home, the 404 error message appears -- File or directory not found.

I opened the Window Properties (WebHelp Pro) dialog box to check the URL, but could not find any field to check the Home URL.

8-14-2012 10-38-46 AM_NGPHelpWindow.png

I looked in the Help, which says that "In WebHelp Pro, you can view settings after the project is published to the server." Does this mean that there is no way for me to specify the desired URL in the project?

If that is the case, do I need to generate straight WebHelp instead of WebHelp Pro? I think the previous writer generated WebHelp Pro output because the company was thinking about providing server-based Help.

I was hoping that the "Advanced window Destinations properties" applied to WebHelp Pro because it enables you to define the URL to display when clicking Home. Bit I think it only applies to HTML Help .

Thanks for any help.

Carol

How do I set advanced properties for a WebHelp pro window? The Home button displays an error and I can't see any place to fix it. This is RoboHelp 9.

Replies
  • RoboColum(n)
    5,356 posts
    Oct 8, 2004
    Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 14, 2012 8:27 AM   in reply to AIR-Chayah

WebHelp Pro output is only required if you have the Adobe RoboHelp Server application. Note that this is not part of Adobe RoboHelp. It is a common misconception that to host output on a server that you need Adobe RoboHelp Server. You don't. You just need to generate plain WebHelp output and publish to the server. I have covered all this in detail on my blog:

http://www.cmcandrew.com/robocolumn/archives/275

With WebHelp Pro output, the URL you use is located on a server but is defined by the setup of the Adobe RoboHelp Server application and the project published to it. Hopefully this information will help you decide what output you need to generate. When you know, come back and we can help further.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 15, 2012 7:23 AM   in reply to AIR-Chayah

When you add the button you will see an Action tab with a Link field. Browse to the required topic.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2012 8:24 AM   in reply to AIR-Chayah

I think the reason the answer to this was delayed to such a great degree was because it wasn't clear what the output type was that you are creating. There is no Home button in any of the skins I'm aware of, but there is for Microsoft HTML Help layout. Because of this, we assumed you were creating CHM output.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2012 10:20 AM   in reply to AIR-Chayah

Sorry sorry sorry... My bad!

I was confusing this post with another from yesterday with an eerily similar issue! Home button not working. And in that case there has been lots of back and forth and asking for screen shots to help diagnose and whatnot.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points