Skip navigation
Shahn_Hogan
Currently Being Moderated

So, is the future of this product dead?

Oct 4, 2006 1:05 PM

No updates in a long time. I haven't heard anything since Macromedia owned it. Are there any updates on this front?

Shahn

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 9, 2006 2:36 PM   in reply to Shahn_Hogan
    I'm under the impression it's dead.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2006 11:36 AM   in reply to Heavy_Doody
    Shame on Macromedia and shame on Adobe!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2006 9:02 PM   in reply to Shahn_Hogan
    But they'll still take your money if you want to buy it......

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2006 5:52 PM   in reply to Heavy_Doody
    Talking with a very helpful support person who was just as frustrated as I was about her not being about to access the information to help, she said they were pushing Dreamweaver and she wasn't aware of plans to do anything with HS.

Too bad. I really like the product on most days.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2006 9:29 AM   in reply to Shahn_Hogan
    It's good for users to push Adobe on this, since Homesite is still an active enough product that they still sell it, and still include it as HomeSite+ in Studio.
    And, while it does need updates, it's still very useful as-is to many web developers, myself included.

I wouldn't give up on it yet, though it certainly wouldn't hurt to let Adobe know if you would like them to continue to develop it, and what updates would be important to you. I'm certainly doing that.

And remember that HomeSite is is highly user-customizable, so you can extend it yourself, as many users have, or you can download extensions that other users have created. Check my asp4hs/php4hs site for most of them. (and please let me know if you have something you'd like to share).

later,
    jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2006 3:30 PM   in reply to Jeff Wilkinson
    Maybe we should get this form more active to show there are NON WYSIWYG developers who love homesite.

This is such a great program and it could be even cooler ...if only...

: )

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2006 2:34 AM   in reply to Shahn_Hogan
    There used to be a very active group of people here, but over the years of lack of interest from Macromedia and now Adobe they've all (almost all) drifted away. It's a real shame. HS is still the best web editing programme available despite not having had a single update for over two years.

The fact that posts via newsreaders no longer show up in the forum doesn't help.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2006 6:58 AM   in reply to Shahn_Hogan
    Besides being phenomenally cheaper than Dreamweaver, Homesite is a lightweight compared to dreamweaver. I hope, if they do update it, it's to fix the errors. Allaires version sucked, especially with 4.5 and windows 98/me. If they think that somehow I'd rather buy Dreamweaver, sadly they are mistaken. I already went above and beyond dropping $130 on the program and then a subsequent update that really did little to enhance the program. I may just end up going back to TextPad.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2006 7:23 PM   in reply to Jeff Wilkinson
    While it appears that Adobe has abandoned Homesite, I will continue to use it. It rarely is a problem for me because the custom dialogs keep it alive.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2006 3:31 PM   in reply to frankenstrat
    fwiw, I just started a thread to get some thoughts on what things you would want most in a homesite upgrade.
    Please see this thread:

Homesite Future - What would you want changed?

thanks,
    jw

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)