Skip navigation
holysparks
Currently Being Moderated

How do I scan so that white paper shows as white not blue?

Aug 14, 2012 10:39 AM

Is there some kind of tweak I can do so that when I scan in full color, the white paper scans as white, not light blue or yellow?

Thank you.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 14, 2012 10:43 AM   in reply to holysparks

Most likely you'll have to correct the color after scanning.

Scanners don't have the same color sensitivities as your eye, and won't see everything the same as you do.

And scanners don't adapt to colors like you do (they'll see the newspaper as gray on gray, while you see it as black and white).

Try using the white eyedropper in Levels on an area that should be white.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 2:37 PM   in reply to holysparks

Along with Chris' explanation, it is also likely that the paper background has greater UV reflectance, that you scanner's chips see, but your eyes do not, and that can differ, paper stock to stock.

You can probably Save a Levels adjustment (say to Scanned_Paper), and reuse that to quickly correct future scans.

There are also some 3rd party scanning software programs, that allow one to adjust much more at the time of scan, than most scanning software, included with your scanner. However, those might well differ greatly (I'd suggest that you trial, before you buy), and some will be very expensive.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 8:06 PM   in reply to holysparks

Scanning to 256 colors (8 bit indexed color) is throwing away most of your image quality from the start -- you really shouldn't be doing that.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 10:58 PM   in reply to holysparks

Doesn't your scanning software give you a white balance adjustment control?

I use VueScan on three different scanners.  Setting the white balance is a one click operation, as is the focusing of scanners that have focusing capabilities.

Explore whatever scanning utility you are using now and if it doesn't have that capability look into VueScan or SilverFast.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points