Skip navigation
iixwh3l4nxii
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop doesn't work? CS4/5/6 same problem

Aug 14, 2012 9:52 AM

It's simple, I had Photoshop CS4, then one day all the tools and the whole program is just broken, let me explain

Say I was trying to work on an image

if I pick ANY tool, like lets say the polygon cut out tool thing, that doesn't work properly, it wont let me draw an outline or make an area to be selected

the paint brush tool, I have to double click for it to work and even then if I move it more than like an inch it just cuts off and acts as if I've just deleted what I made.

I made a video on it because it makes no sense to me at all.

Anyway before we get to the video here's what I've done:

Made sure nothing like scroll lock or caps lock is interfering with it

Deleted all AppData files for photoshop

AND I've even bought CS5 AND CS6 WITH THE SAME PROBLEM

This makes no sense, I'd been using photoshop for years what the hell?

Well my internet isn't it's best and youtube is taking a while to upload, for now does anyone have any idea?

I love photoshop, I use it every day, this is painful.

Edit: Another thing is that when I try to alter the image, say Edit>Hue and Saturation and then make the image RED or something and press OK, it acts like I pressed cancle... but I pressed ok...

Also when I save images it seems like it doesn't actually saved them, I saved an image to my desktop and it wasn't there...

Same with all versions, it's really annoying

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,482 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 14, 2012 10:02 AM   in reply to iixwh3l4nxii

Clearly something on your system has changed.  What system would that be?  Model, OS, version?

Ideally, go into Help - System Info..., copy the info and paste it in a post here (redact the serial number iinfo).  Yes, it's very long, but put it all in - it can help people drive right to a solution.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,482 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 14, 2012 10:21 AM   in reply to iixwh3l4nxii

Hey, I tried.  Best of luck getting help.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 14, 2012 11:12 AM   in reply to iixwh3l4nxii

Your story isn't very coherent.  First you say you had the problem with CS4 but then bought CS5 and CS6 all with the same problem.

Then all of a sudden your story is different:  you say you installed a new OS, used the CS6 trial until it ran out, and the problem first started after reverting to CS4. Then you say you downloaded the CS5 trial (where did you get that?), had the same problem and re-downloaded the CS6 trial (how did you manage to get that to run after you already used up your trial time?)

Problems with Photoshop can be caused by removing a later version on a computer where a previous version resides, and installing a new OS can introduce new drivers that need updating.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 12:07 PM   in reply to iixwh3l4nxii

Noel Carboni wrote:

...go into Help - System Info..., copy the info and paste it in a post here (redact the serial number iinfo).  Yes, it's very long, but put it all in - it can help people drive right to a solution.

iixwh3l4nxii wrote:

I know what I'm doing Noel you hardly tried...

Noel's the one here who has tried, not you.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 1:00 PM   in reply to iixwh3l4nxii

iixwh3l4nxii wrote:

No I'm not a computer noob I know what I'm doing Noel you hardly tried, but anyway I deleted everything and re-installed, and it's easy to re-download trials and I got the CS5 from an archive, even if it was some bad copy or something it doesn't explain the problems.

Ouch.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 2:37 PM   in reply to iixwh3l4nxii

Ummmm... Link to video? You said you made a video of the problem, I'd like to see it.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,482 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 14, 2012 3:15 PM   in reply to iixwh3l4nxii

iixwh3l4nxii wrote:

Noel you hardly tried

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Did you not realize that in post 1 I asked you to do something specific in Photoshop?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 3:27 PM   in reply to iixwh3l4nxii

When Tools cease to work, as they should, it is often just a matter of Resetting the Tools' Options. If that does not work, then Resetting one's Photoshop Preferences will usually fix things.

As you have now installed many versions of Photoshop (one possibly of questionable provenance), I would Uninstall all that you have. Then download and run the Adobe Creative Suite Cleaner Tool: http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

several times, rebooting between each run.

Then, do a clean install of PS CS4, and Activate that.

If the Tools are still malfunctioning, Reset your Prefs. Note: they will NOT be deleted, with the Uninstall, and I do not think that the Adobe Creative Suite Cleaner Tool will do that either, but have never needed to use it, so I am not speaking from experience here.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points