Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Print to PDF within Acrobat - not prompted for new file name / path

Aug 14, 2012 11:59 AM

Tags: #print #adobe_distiller

I am trying to print to PDF from within Acrobat in order to combine multiple pages onto one sheet (i.e. under page scaling > multiple pages per sheet). 

When I hit print the distiller opens but I am never prompted to choose the file name or location for the new file.  I don't know if it's actually printing to PDF (i.e. and maybe saving the file in some obscure location on my computer?) or not.

Thanks in advance if anyone has any advice.

Sal

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 14, 2012 12:37 PM   in reply to sarracenia

ime, Distiller is not invoked by printing to PDF Printer; are you in fact seeing a Distiller window?

Print > Adobe PDF Printer > Properties > Adobe PDF Output Folder - should either Prompt fo Filename or default to user/Documents

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 1:38 PM   in reply to sarracenia

Actually, printing to pdf does invoke distiller, but it is never seen; under Windows OS

Your OSX, that changes everything - there have been too many changes with every recent release of OSX involving postscript and Printing to PDF; Adobe and Apple have chosen to see who has the bigger stick lately and the user's are paying the price.

Start a new thread - the volunteers here tend to look at the unreplied to posts...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 9:46 PM   in reply to sarracenia

Please do not start superflous topics simply because you don't believe that you received either a correct or sufficient response. We have deleted your extra topic!

With regards to your original question ...

The ability to print to the Adobe PDF Printer PostScript driver instance under MacOS X was eliminated a while ago as the result of Apple changing its driver architecture to preclude that feature from working in one of the OS updates. Contrary to Mr. Flavin's assertion, there wasn't a matter of “Adobe and Apple have chosen to see who has the bigger stick” at all. Apple notified us of the upcoming change and in our next set of updates to Acrobat 9, we put in code to eliminate where possible the old Adobe PDF Printer PostScript printer driver instance if it was installed. If you still see that printer driver instance, it is likely that either you don't have the latest update for Acrobat 9 or there was some failure during the Acrobat update.

In place of the mechanism of printing to the Adobe PDF Printer, you can create PDF via distillation of PostScript by saving the PDF file as PostScript and manually distilling it. However, that does not give you all the options of the print dialog. The alternative is to print to any printer instance and pull down the option at the bottom of the print dialog and use the Save as Adobe PDF option. That doesn't use PostScript, but does an Adobe optimization of the PDF produced.

Generally speaking, refrying a PDF file (i.e., creating a new PDF file by distilling PostScript output from Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat) is strongly discouraged. Although you technically can create another PDF file this way, there are often problems. The PostScript output from Reader/Acrobat is optimized for printing, not for PDF generation. Transparency is flattened at the chosen device resolution with the possibility of nasty stitching artifacts. Color management is lost.

What you are attempting to is what is called imposition, putting multiple logical PDF pages onto a single PDF page, usually for production purposes. Acrobat offers no native solution for this that maintains the quality of your content, but there are a number of third party Acrobat plug-ins and stand-alone programs that provide such functionality. One such product is Quite Software's Quite Imposing which I personally use and recommend. There are other similar products at lower and higher price points. I recommend you explore such products as a real professional solution to your needs.

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 10:35 PM   in reply to sarracenia

Daniel is hereby chastized for his suggestion! 

- Dov

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points