Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

What is the best way to port a entire website?

Aug 14, 2012 4:55 PM

I need to elevate my test site to the production site...  Can anyone tell me if there is an "easy way to just copy the site from one remote ftp to another ftp w/ dreamweaver?

This would include any subdirectories, jquery, images, PHP, etc... at one time.  Can I just select the root and have it copy everything underneath over?

What is the best practice for transferring the new site?  Bring down the old site and erase from the production server?  If I leave the old site live like the client wants I could run into conflicts and then need to go back and delete any remnants of the old site (Which would be a major hassle).

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 14, 2012 7:42 PM   in reply to Prodigy9

Can I just select the root and have it copy everything underneath over?

Yes that is the only way to make sure all your file structure is still in place.  When you upload this site, do exactly the same i.e. upload everything to the root folder on your server and the rest will take care of itself.

Good luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2012 5:48 AM   in reply to Prodigy9

Prodigy9 wrote:

I need to elevate my test site to the production site...  Can anyone tell me if there is an "easy way to just copy the site from one remote ftp to another ftp w/ dreamweaver?

This would include any subdirectories, jquery, images, PHP, etc... at one time.  Can I just select the root and have it copy everything underneath over?

What is the best practice for transferring the new site?  Bring down the old site and erase from the production server?  If I leave the old site live like the client wants I could run into conflicts and then need to go back and delete any remnants of the old site (Which would be a major hassle).

Thanks!

Don'y know about DW's FTP, but other FTP programs allow you to run two instances of the FTP and you can just drag theentire site folder from one remote server to the other.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2012 6:57 AM   in reply to Ken Binney

If you have root access (dedicated,VPS, etc) or some way to host multiple sites on the same server I'd upload the new site right along side the old site and then point the domain to the new folder/account.  If you don't have that access, first thing I would do is setup a catch-all redirect to push everything at first to a construction page, and then afterwards to the new homepage in case paths have changed with the new site.  Something like the following in htaccess will do the trick:

RewriteEngine On

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !=/index.php

RewriteRule .* /index.php

And I will second what Ken said about a 3rd party FTP client.  Personally I use Transmit as an alternative FTP client and would highly recommend them for a stand-alone client. 

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 4:35 AM   in reply to Prodigy9

Why not just add the new remote site definition to the existing site definition, select that new remote as the active FTP site, and upload everything from local to new remote?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 4:40 AM   in reply to Prodigy9

Also remember if any of the old site pages have good Google rankings you'll probably want to have some kind of redirect from those to the reciprical pages in the new site or at the very least redirect to the new homepage.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 10:12 AM   in reply to Prodigy9

What database are you using?  Only Access would rely on files.  All others operate in a totally different way.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 7:04 PM   in reply to Prodigy9

Databases being on their own server is not uncommon. It's usually done to help the load balancing.  But as Murray eluded to, you won't be doing this over FTP.  If you have been building this in a SQL server, you can usually export the file as a zip or gzip via phpMyAdmin.  With a new, presumably small database, this probably won't be necessary, but depending on your connection speed most hosts download much faster than they upload so having the smallest file possible can be a time saver.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points