Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
Currently Being Moderated

How come this could ever happen?

Aug 14, 2012 1:05 PM

Impossible.jpg

I thought that this was not possible, but it obviously is possible. Clicking on this persons "avatar" or screen name takes me to the Site Area Temporarily Unavailable notice,

http://www.adobe.com/special/message.html

In my opinion, email addresses and URLs should not be accepted as screen names and/or avatars. If they are, I would suggest making them automatically rejected.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 15, 2012 9:46 AM   in reply to Claudio González

I'll ask John C to tackle this when he returns from vacation.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2012 9:07 PM   in reply to Claudio González

This is a very interesting thread, given you folks have had a member here since June 1st, 2009 that is now using a domain name as a User ID.  I write "now" because I have no idea if the member changed (or could do so) the User ID after having gone through the registration process.

http://forums.adobe.com/people/mytaxsite.co.uk

There are a lot of people that spend a lot of time trying to educate website administrators how to recognize and curb spamming on their sites and I stumble onto it happening right here on a company's site I would have assumed was well aware of the extensive efforts to control spamming.  It's a difficult uphill battle. 

Has this company given up?  Give in to one spammer and there's no way to stop the others.  What a shame.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2012 5:48 PM   in reply to Claudio González

Screen names, or display names, are created in the Adobe.com profile, and there seem to be no restrictions over there.

A slash in the display name will break various things here on the forum side, but it seems that there is nothing John C. can do about it.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 16, 2012 8:29 AM   in reply to GeoMG

All this talk makes me want to spam the forum myself. 

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points