Skip navigation
qpokc
Currently Being Moderated

Data Merge Shifting Records off the page...?

Aug 15, 2012 10:46 AM

Tags: #problem #indesign #troubleshooting #merge #shifting #cs6 #alignment #data_merge #data_merge_layout_problems

I am trying to do a data merge to create a member directory, finished size 5.5x8.5

I am doing multiple records (each sized 1.5x.1.5 inches) per document page, and when I  Preview the multiple record layout, it shifts all of the records down about 1 inch, and over to the left about 2. It does not seem to be lining up with anything. My margins for the data merge are set to .3 all around.

I have tried using a data source that is a CSV (comma delinated) and also a Text (tab delinated) file.

I have tried creating a new file and reseting the needed info from scratch, to help ensure there wasn't any possible file corruption.

Here's a picture of what's happening. Can anyone give me a clue why this shift is happening?

I am using CS6, and have never had this happen to me before with any previous work.

BEFORE.pngAFTER.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 15, 2012 10:54 AM   in reply to qpokc

Can you include a screen shot of the Multiple Record Layout tab, and the Options tab? The key to the problem may be in one of those.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2012 11:09 AM   in reply to qpokc

Everything looks fine there, so my best guess would be a stray item on the page could be throwing things off. If you could post a link to the InDesign file, I could take a look at it. (I will create a dummy data file to test with)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2012 11:26 AM   in reply to qpokc

Something went wrong with your dropbox link; it opens as an html page full of code instead of a link to download the file.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2012 11:29 AM   in reply to SRiegel

I was able to d/l the ID file, but I am limited to CS5.5

IE9

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2012 12:09 PM   in reply to qpokc

I haven't look at your posted file, but a number of users of CS5 and CS5.5 have reported oddities after running the preview.

What happens if you either take a leap of faith and DON'T run the preview, or Undo after running it so it's as if it never happened, then run the merge?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2012 12:18 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

After two InDesign lockups, it appears a custom page size has been applied to the live page, although I don't use the feature enough. Using the page tool informs me that the page size is 8.5 x 5.5; identicle to the document setup size...

It being a end product multiple page, I added a second page to the master spread, applied the masters to the live page, where abouts ID informed of the custom page size. I applied the Master Page size, 8.5 x 5.5 to the live page and corrected the offset merge...I think.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2012 12:22 PM   in reply to Daniel Flavin

It seems to be connected to the preview, so that if it was previewed even once it didn't run correctly. The only way I was able to get correct behavior out of the file was to create a brand new file, copy the text block into it, set up a new data-merge info and run without preview.

Any attempts to create a new file and preview before running resulted in offset records.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2012 11:17 AM   in reply to SRiegel

I am having a similar issue with multiple records on a single page resulting in the entire page ending up offset when merged. Using InDesign 5.5.

I have tried starting over with a new file and skipping the preview step, but this doesn't seem to make a difference. My entire text block (with at the least the merges in the right place in the text) scoots over to the right and down a few inches. Any suggestions? I'm merging with an Excel csv file. Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 10:10 AM   in reply to qpokc

For what it's worth - here's what I dicovered ... the hard way :/

I was having the same problem with the previewed and final text frames being off-set. After many hours of searching for answers and testing theories I remembered I started out the document with a landscape format - then changed to portrait. InDesign and/or the data merge utility still thought I was in landscape. I created a new document wich solved the problem!

I'm using CS6 ...

Dave

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2013 9:52 AM   in reply to qpokc

I had a similar issue trying to print on Avery 5160 labels. (3 columns of 10 labels).  I fixed it by creating a new document and in the Page set up window for the new document (before it is opened), I made a custom size 8.5 x 11 instead of choosing it from the list, and I set up the margins and made 3 columns in the same window. Once the document opened, I drew a new text box, opened data source, and place fields in the new text box.  I went to Data merge and under the Multiple Record Layout tab, I put in exactly the same margin and column measurements that I used on the original page set up.  I clicked the preview box and it came up perfect! 

**These were the same measurements I used in the document that didn't work. The only difference was that in the failed attempt, I set up the margins and columns after I opened a standard 8.5 x 11 page.

I am using CS6.

Jenni

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (2)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points