I am trying to do a data merge to create a member directory, finished size 5.5x8.5
I am doing multiple records (each sized 1.5x.1.5 inches) per document page, and when I Preview the multiple record layout, it shifts all of the records down about 1 inch, and over to the left about 2. It does not seem to be lining up with anything. My margins for the data merge are set to .3 all around.
I have tried using a data source that is a CSV (comma delinated) and also a Text (tab delinated) file.
I have tried creating a new file and reseting the needed info from scratch, to help ensure there wasn't any possible file corruption.
Here's a picture of what's happening. Can anyone give me a clue why this shift is happening?
I am using CS6, and have never had this happen to me before with any previous work.
Everything looks fine there, so my best guess would be a stray item on the page could be throwing things off. If you could post a link to the InDesign file, I could take a look at it. (I will create a dummy data file to test with)
See, that's what I thought. Which is why I created an entirely new document.
Could it be corruption in the Excell file I created the Data Source from?
Here it is, don't know how much help it will be!
Woops, forgot to zip it. Sorry. Thanks for all your help!
And here's an IDML for earlier versions...
I haven't look at your posted file, but a number of users of CS5 and CS5.5 have reported oddities after running the preview.
What happens if you either take a leap of faith and DON'T run the preview, or Undo after running it so it's as if it never happened, then run the merge?
After two InDesign lockups, it appears a custom page size has been applied to the live page, although I don't use the feature enough. Using the page tool informs me that the page size is 8.5 x 5.5; identicle to the document setup size...
It being a end product multiple page, I added a second page to the master spread, applied the masters to the live page, where abouts ID informed of the custom page size. I applied the Master Page size, 8.5 x 5.5 to the live page and corrected the offset merge...I think.
It seems to be connected to the preview, so that if it was previewed even once it didn't run correctly. The only way I was able to get correct behavior out of the file was to create a brand new file, copy the text block into it, set up a new data-merge info and run without preview.
Any attempts to create a new file and preview before running resulted in offset records.
Great! Guess InDesign is trying to teach me to not second-guess myself? Tried it as you suggested, SRiegel & Peter Spier, and it worked perfectly. I had seen posts suggesting errors similar to this in CS5, but didn't think the hijink would have transfered to CS6. Should have known better. Having quite a long document to merge (and a somewhat slow computer) made me reluctant to try it without the preview, but looks like it worked out.
Thanks to all of you for all your help and input! Much appreciated!
I am having a similar issue with multiple records on a single page resulting in the entire page ending up offset when merged. Using InDesign 5.5.
I have tried starting over with a new file and skipping the preview step, but this doesn't seem to make a difference. My entire text block (with at the least the merges in the right place in the text) scoots over to the right and down a few inches. Any suggestions? I'm merging with an Excel csv file. Thanks.
For what it's worth - here's what I dicovered ... the hard way :/
I was having the same problem with the previewed and final text frames being off-set. After many hours of searching for answers and testing theories I remembered I started out the document with a landscape format - then changed to portrait. InDesign and/or the data merge utility still thought I was in landscape. I created a new document wich solved the problem!
I'm using CS6 ...
I had a similar issue trying to print on Avery 5160 labels. (3 columns of 10 labels). I fixed it by creating a new document and in the Page set up window for the new document (before it is opened), I made a custom size 8.5 x 11 instead of choosing it from the list, and I set up the margins and made 3 columns in the same window. Once the document opened, I drew a new text box, opened data source, and place fields in the new text box. I went to Data merge and under the Multiple Record Layout tab, I put in exactly the same margin and column measurements that I used on the original page set up. I clicked the preview box and it came up perfect!
**These were the same measurements I used in the document that didn't work. The only difference was that in the failed attempt, I set up the margins and columns after I opened a standard 8.5 x 11 page.
I am using CS6.