Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Flash CS6 vs CS4 SWF file size

Aug 7, 2012 12:15 PM

Tags: #cs4 #help #flash #swf #cs6 #compression #file_size #file_weight

Hi,

I've been working on updating some banners built with CS4 in CS6 over the last two days and have seen a dramatic increase in the exported file size from CS6 over the original versions with minimal changes to content (text edits, same fonts). As a comparison, I looked at a 160x600 banner from CS4 with a filesize of 34,540 bytes and the same file when exported from CS6 is 41,057. I tried using the LZMA compression yesterday and that helped, but this is only applicable on Flash Player 11+ and the banners had to be saved at 10 or lower.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this is happening? I've wasted half a day recompressing the files down via 6 to get them out the door. Am I better off using CS4 for this stuff? Could it be a legacy file issue and I wouldn't see it if I built from scratch in CS6?

We checked out size reports and noticed that there was a difference in the font weight in both banners, this could account for part of it, but it was the same fonts in both so not sure why this is happening but it is very frustrating.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 13, 2012 7:45 AM   in reply to jeremiahtrue

For clarifiication, you opened a banner in CS6 that was created in CS4... made NO changes or edits, simply re-saved that file as a CS6 version and saw an approx 20% increase in file size?

And this is the .swf file size we are talking about? How do the .fla file sizes compare?

When you say

exported from CS6

was this by "Publishing" the .swf, "Control/Enter" compiling or what?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 14, 2012 8:05 AM   in reply to jeremiahtrue

You might check the embedded fonts and only embed the needed characters, not the entire character set.....could that be the diff?... CS4 lets you choose which characters (for example only lower case... no numberals, no puncuation) while CS6 by default embeds everything?

I don't have CS6 so I can't test myself.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points