Skip navigation
Murdoch1984
Currently Being Moderated

PDF: How do I force cover page to always print?

Aug 15, 2012 9:54 AM

Tags: #problem #pdf #document #printer #print

Due to copyright usage of a series of PDFs, I have to ensure that the cover page (copyright info) will always print, even if the user prints part of the document.

The only way I can think of is through Javascript (which I know nothing about).

Does anybody know how I can accomlpish this?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 15, 2012 10:36 AM   in reply to Murdoch1984

Don't think it can be forced in the way you are asking. The easiest solution would be to put a copyright statement in the header or footer of each page.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2012 11:16 AM   in reply to Murdoch1984

Bill's correct, it cannot be done - the print dialog sets the page range and that's under the sole control of the user. Although the JavaScript API is notified via the 'willPrint' event when the Print button is finally pressed, by that point it's too late to cancel or change the parameters.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2012 8:53 PM   in reply to Murdoch1984

I guess I am not quite sure why you need the copyright info to always print. If they have a copyrighted work and print it the copyright is still in force as far as I know. It becomes the responsibility of the individual using the file to abide by the copyright. If you required the title page to print, it is still trivial to trash it. So what is the point? You may be fighting to do something that is really not necessary in a legal sense (at least in my non-legal viewpoint).

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2012 11:29 PM   in reply to Murdoch1984

They say "...or other means..." which would allow you to use watermarks or footers on the page, and that is technically simple. Surely there must be some area of the page which isn't covered in ink - the rights message only has to be a few mm high.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points