• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

An ">" symbol at the top of each JavaHelp page?

New Here ,
May 23, 2012 May 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I have generated JavaHelp off an imported Word 2007 document on a Windows 7 box.  Interestingly, an unsightly ">" (the greater than sign) is appearing at beginning of each help page when ported to my Fedora 13/Linux box.  The preview of the JavaHelp on the Windows 7 machine (where I generated the JavaHelp) does not show this ">" at the top of each help page.

Any idea why the unexpected ">" is showing up at the top of each help page on Fedora/Linux box?

Thanks.

- Arefin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2012 May 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After searching the web, this '>' at the beginning of each JavaHelp topic (.htm files) might be an encoding issue.  RH9 is generating UTF-8 encoding and my Fedora/Linux box has LANG=en_US.UTF-8 setting. They seem to be the same, but who knows!

Thanks for any further hints.

- Arefin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 29, 2012 May 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look at the fields in the SSL dialogs. There is an option to select different encoding. Maybe that will help?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2012 Aug 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar issue where the ">" sign was showing up at the beginning of each page in JavaHelp.  The fix was to delete everything out of the directory I was compiling to (or compile the jar file to a new, empty folder). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2012 Aug 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mrtsai,

Thanks very much for your help, but unfortunately it did not solve the problem.  I generated everything to a brand new folder, but sill an ">" shows up at the begining of each JavaHelp page.  As I said before, this does not happen on the Windows 7 system where I generate the JavaHelp, but it happens when I port the help to my Fedora/Linux box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using the same version of Java and JavaHelp on the Linux box that you are on the Windows box?  I still haven't figured out how to determine which version RoboHelp uses.  These are the steps I took to solve it:

1. Installed Java version 6 (latest version)

2. Installed JavaHelp 2.0

3. Reinstalled RoboHelp so upon generating JavaHelp it would prompt me to point to the Java and JavaHelp versions I wanted to use for the compile.

4. Compiled to a new/clean folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have jdk1.5.0_22 on both the Windows and Linux box.  My installation of RoboHelp does not ask for Java version, but I have JAVA_HOME (system and user variables) set to jdk1.5.0_22 installation, which is used in my Java project on Linux.  What version of RoboHelp you have? Mine is 9.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also using version 9.  I didn't have to set the JAVA_HOME variable.  After I reinstalled RoboHelp and compiled my JavaHelp project for the very first time, it asked me where my Java and JavaHelp were installed (in two separate prompts after I clicked Save and Generate).  After that, the > at the top of each file went away.  However, when I did a search, it was still displaying the title of each of my search results as:

10 > >

5 > >

2 > >

When I compiled to a clean directory, this was fixed and again displayed the actual page title instead of the > symbol. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My installation of RH9 did not ask for Java and JavaHelp locations because I have JAVA_HOME and JHHOME system variables already defined!  Well, please let me know if you find something, or I will post of anything I find.  This is not a serious issue for my app.  Thanks a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp