I have generated JavaHelp off an imported Word 2007 document on a Windows 7 box. Interestingly, an unsightly ">" (the greater than sign) is appearing at beginning of each help page when ported to my Fedora 13/Linux box. The preview of the JavaHelp on the Windows 7 machine (where I generated the JavaHelp) does not show this ">" at the top of each help page.
Any idea why the unexpected ">" is showing up at the top of each help page on Fedora/Linux box?
After searching the web, this '>' at the beginning of each JavaHelp topic (.htm files) might be an encoding issue. RH9 is generating UTF-8 encoding and my Fedora/Linux box has LANG=en_US.UTF-8 setting. They seem to be the same, but who knows!
Thanks for any further hints.
I had a similar issue where the ">" sign was showing up at the beginning of each page in JavaHelp. The fix was to delete everything out of the directory I was compiling to (or compile the jar file to a new, empty folder).
Thanks very much for your help, but unfortunately it did not solve the problem. I generated everything to a brand new folder, but sill an ">" shows up at the begining of each JavaHelp page. As I said before, this does not happen on the Windows 7 system where I generate the JavaHelp, but it happens when I port the help to my Fedora/Linux box.
Are you using the same version of Java and JavaHelp on the Linux box that you are on the Windows box? I still haven't figured out how to determine which version RoboHelp uses. These are the steps I took to solve it:
1. Installed Java version 6 (latest version)
2. Installed JavaHelp 2.0
3. Reinstalled RoboHelp so upon generating JavaHelp it would prompt me to point to the Java and JavaHelp versions I wanted to use for the compile.
4. Compiled to a new/clean folder.
I have jdk1.5.0_22 on both the Windows and Linux box. My installation of RoboHelp does not ask for Java version, but I have JAVA_HOME (system and user variables) set to jdk1.5.0_22 installation, which is used in my Java project on Linux. What version of RoboHelp you have? Mine is 9.
I'm also using version 9. I didn't have to set the JAVA_HOME variable. After I reinstalled RoboHelp and compiled my JavaHelp project for the very first time, it asked me where my Java and JavaHelp were installed (in two separate prompts after I clicked Save and Generate). After that, the > at the top of each file went away. However, when I did a search, it was still displaying the title of each of my search results as:
10 > >
5 > >
2 > >
When I compiled to a clean directory, this was fixed and again displayed the actual page title instead of the > symbol.
My installation of RH9 did not ask for Java and JavaHelp locations because I have JAVA_HOME and JHHOME system variables already defined! Well, please let me know if you find something, or I will post of anything I find. This is not a serious issue for my app. Thanks a lot.