• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Comments/Mark Up Not Showing

New Here ,
Aug 15, 2012 Aug 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was e-mailed a PDF with the Comments/Mark Up function enabled so I could edit it, but when I downloaded and opened it the Tools drop-down menu was not showing it as enabled. I know others have been sent the same file enabled in the same way and have had no problem. I got partly round this by upgrading from Reader 9 to Adobe Reader X, which has the Highlight/Sticky Note functions as standard and accessible by everyone, but unfortunately the Text Edit tool is still out of reach. Any ideas why Comments/Mark Up is being blocked in my case?

TOPICS
Comment markup and annotate , General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 16, 2012 Aug 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please let me know the following:

1. Are you getting any dialog prompt on launching the PDF in Reader? If so, could you please post a screenshot of the same.

2. Could you also post a screenshot of the document Properties (displayed by pressing Ctrl + D)

3. The version of Adobe Reader on your system (you can get the same by clicking on Help > About Adobe Reader)

Also, could you please verify if the system date on your machine is set correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Many thanks for getting in contact. Answers as follows...

1. There's no dialogue prompt on launching the PDF.

2. I've sent screenshot as an attachment. (Couldn't get it pasted into this bit.)

3. Version 10.1.4 (although it didn't work on Reader 9 either).

4. As far as I know the system date is correct.

Many thanks for your help.

John Eastaugh

Freelance Proofreader

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the information.

Please post the screenshot using the snapshot tool on the forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2012 Aug 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again,

Thanks for your reply. I'm not very computer-savvy, I'm afraid. How do I get to the snapshot tool? I've had a look on the forum but can't find it.

Cheers,

John. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please use the camera button (above the text box where you would be typing your reply) while posting the reply to paste an image..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope this is what you wanted.

Cheers,

John.                                        

.Untitled.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 18, 2012 Aug 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting the screenshot and my apologies for not being clearer the first time, but I needed to see the Security information for the said PDF. i.e. a screenshot of the Security tab of the Document Properties dialog.

Also, would it be possible for you to share the PDF with me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2012 Aug 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Glad about the screen shot. That sort of thing is a bit like rocket science for me, so it's a bit of an achievement to get it right... eventually.

Re the PDF, I'd rather not share it at the moment as it's an unpublished work which I'm proofreading for a leading publisher, and I don't think they'd want me sending it out beyond its current confines.

As far as theproblem with comments not showing is concerned, I don't know whether it helps to know this, but in an effort to try and find out what was going wrong, I downloaded the PDF onto a CD at the library last week prior to contacting Adobe (and therefore using a different computer), but it didn't make any difference to the problem.

Cheers,

John.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 20, 2012 Aug 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats perfectly fine. As requested in the last post, could you please post a screenshot of the Security tab in the document Properties dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi;

Is this ok? 

Cheers,

John.   

Untitled2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the screenshot John.

However, from what I can see from the PDF properties, I can see that the Commenting is indeed allowed on the PDF.

However, the PDF does not have the Extended Rights enabled. This is what is causing the Edit Text tool to not be displayed/enabled for you. Once the PDF is reader enabled, you will be able to see those options (as detailed at: http://blogs.adobe.com/dmcmahon/2011/09/17/acrobatreader-x-how-to-enable-the-typewriter-tool/).

You will have to ask the initiator to resend the file post enabling the Reader Extended features. Instructions on as to how to go about it are detailed at: http://blogs.adobe.com/dmcmahon/2011/09/10/adobe-reader-fill-out-a-pdf-form-or-type-text-on-a-pdf-fi...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2012 Aug 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again,

Many thanks for your reply, and for the the links to the two Adobe articles, which I hadn't seen before. They both look very useful and I'll keep for fuiture reference.

Thanks again for your help. Very much appreciated.

Best wishes,

John.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 26, 2012 Aug 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, in addition to those two articles, this new video tutorial should help:

It covers how to edit text with the Typewriter tool in Reader X.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Brilliant. Very useful video.

Many thanks for that.

John. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Thanks for your video. It's really helpful.

Many thanks.

Peter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines