Skip navigation
heartwood printing servic
Currently Being Moderated

linking issues?

Aug 15, 2012 9:12 AM

I've created a template with Photoshop of slices for an interactive kiosk I'm developing and brought it into Dreamweaver. Everything looks good in Dreamweaver but when I look at the .html files the slices aren't showing up, each slice has a red 'x' on it like the image isn't available.  The folder the slices are contained in is in the Site I created though.  What am I doing wrong?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 15, 2012 10:25 AM   in reply to heartwood printing servic

That can happen when you use CMYK instead of RGB on your images.

If you have a link, it might be easier to troubleshoot it.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2012 6:03 PM   in reply to heartwood printing servic

Is this code from your HTML page?  Why have got <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> all over the  place?  It looks like you need to validate your page for correct HTML and correct CSS.

Hope this gets you started with the validation process.

Good luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2012 6:35 PM   in reply to heartwood printing servic

heartwood printing servic wrote:

I don't know why it's there, I didn't add anything other than content and what PS and DW put there.  I'll have to look into it.  Thanks.

The page you are designing is very simple so why can't you do it in DW rather than using Photoshop or Fireworks.  Ps and FW are graphics packages and so they can't create valid webpages for you.

You create graphics in graphics package and webpages in Dreamweaver.  Any other method is likely to land you into big trouble and nobody will be able to help you.

Good luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 7:22 AM   in reply to heartwood printing servic

Definitely run your code through these and correct the errors...

HTML Validator: http://validator.w3.org/

CSS Validator: http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

For starters, remove all of the doctype declarations, every one of them. You should only have 1 doctype declaration, you can paste it in at the very top of your code, right before the <html> tag.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 10:56 AM   in reply to heartwood printing servic

Re-reading the explanation in your second post, I'm wondering if we're missing something really simple.

You may have forgotten to also load the images onto the kiosk.

In Safari, on the computer that does show the images in FF, hold down the Shift key and hit "R" to reload fresh (not from cache). Does that make any difference?

Finally, is there any way you could post a test page online so we could take a look at a live version?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 8:34 PM   in reply to heartwood printing servic

yes, I'm thinking it's something simple too. 

simple things are best solved by having a valid link to your test page or a link to the problem page.  Corrections can easily be done on a page not some code fragments at the back of the envelope.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points