Skip navigation
Jon-M-Spear 969 posts
Jan 27, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

AE CS6:  Could not convert Unicode characters (23 :: 46)

Aug 15, 2012 11:48 PM

I am sudenlty getting this error message.

 

I was importing a native XDCAM file into AE Win 7 when the error message first appeared.  Subsequent to that, merely clicking on the import button (no file selected) gives the same error message.

 

It seemed to "clear" by dragging an AVI file across from Bridge.  Using the same technique, I was then able to drag across the orignal XDCAM file. However, the error message reoccurs when I try to save the project.  It will not allow it.

 

I then opened a completed, tried and tested project - and it now gives the error message when I try to "saved as".  However, it will perform an "increment and save" without dirplaying the message.

 

I looked up the Adobe help - about replacing files from language folders etc, but that hasn't done the trick.  It suggested (CS3, CS4) that whatever the language txt file is in the AMT Language folder, is the one that AE was installed with.  However, EVERY lanuage txt file resides in there!  Perhaps it has changed for CS6.  I made the assumption that I would have used en_GB.txt.  Based on that assumption, I carried out the recommended procedure.  No change!

 

My motherboard was replaced yesterday - and I had to ask Adobe for another activation - as I didn't realise that MB replacement constituted an additional computer! Hence I didn't think to deactivate the Suite beforehand.  Could this cause the issue?

 

All suggestions greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

 
Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 16, 2012 12:02 AM   in reply to Jon-M-Spear

    Have you trashed the AE prefs in between? If not, try that. also, if you replaced the mobo it may cause issues with your disk mapping on a general level du to potential differences in BIOS settings for the SATA bus. In that case you should check things in your device manager and disk management tool and run fcheck as well. Also verify your user privileges vs. file permissions. You may have some garbage there that prevents file I/O from working properly...

     

    Mylenium

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 16, 2012 2:11 AM   in reply to Jon-M-Spear

    That really sounds like you have a problem with your SATA controller. If it came with a specific driver, install it. Otherwise really do verify the BIOS settings before it's eating all your data due to failed I/O operations. Also use a tool like Sysinternals System Monitor or even Win 7's own Resource Monitor to keep an eye on file operations. Something is afoot there. And really do run that fcheck/ checkdisk. As a last thing, look into your system restore settings. It's quite possible that Windows is restoring some weird stuff that may interfere with your new configuration. The same of course would be true if there is some security tool doing odd things...

     

    Mylenium

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 5, 2012 8:23 PM   in reply to Jon-M-Spear

    Thanks for posting these comments.  I just ran into the same problem and tried the steps mentioned in other threads (for earlier versions) with no luck. It wasn't until finding this thread that I was led to realize that a peculiar character was all of a sudden added to a folder name on a removable drive I was accessing.  Might not have even noticed if I didn't know to look for that.


    THANKS!

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 13, 2012 8:44 AM   in reply to Jon-M-Spear

    Thank you Jon for your discovery! I was in the same situation and had a different character in a folder. Little things like that..

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 22, 2013 7:49 PM   in reply to Jon-M-Spear

    I am not very computer literate.  i need help with this.  i have aftereffects cs6.  i have reinstalled this and updated several times.  i still get the same error message as you did here.  i dont know how to loook for a unicode character.  whehn i click on import, i just get the error.  can anyone help me please?

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 23, 2013 12:15 AM   in reply to jakegold1029

    Look for characters in the file name of path that are not normal characters in the language that the application is running in.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 23, 2013 6:25 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

    can you please give me a step by step answer on how to fix it?

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 23, 2013 8:28 AM   in reply to jakegold1029

    > can you please give me a step by step answer on how to fix it?

     

    1. Look for characters in your file names or paths that are not in the usual character set for the language that you're running the application in (e.g., Chinese characters in a folder name, while you're running the application in English).

    2. Change them.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 23, 2013 9:00 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

    the error message comes up as soon as i hit file import

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 23, 2013 9:47 AM   in reply to Jon-M-Spear

    If the error is occurring before you try to import a specific file, then the offending character(s) are likely to be in the file path, including perhaps in the drive name.

     
    |
    Mark as:

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

  • 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points