Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How can I sequence non-threaded text frames for localization?

Aug 16, 2012 7:01 AM

Is there any way to sequence non-threaded text frames? I want the text to appear in order in SDL (translation software).

Thanks all. RR

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 16, 2012 7:09 AM   in reply to Roborabbit

How are you exporting for your SDL (translation software)? If it's Accessible PDF, then you want to use the Articles panel in InDesign CS 5.5 and CS6 to set the export order.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 7:16 AM   in reply to Roborabbit

Hi,

The best way I know to do this in large scale is using this free plugin: http://www.rorohiko.com/wordpress/indesign-downloads/textstitch/

Maria

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 8:41 AM   in reply to Steve Werner

Last time I checked, the Articles tool only affected reading order in PDF. I know of no translation tools that consistently do a good job harvesting text from PDFs, and SDL's tools only accept IDML. TextStitch is useful because you can just let it auto-stitch the whole document if all frames should be read in a top-down, left-right order.

However, StoryCollector and other SDL tools also collect frames in that order. So, using the QuickStitch function of TextStitch, you can rapidly thread all the frames in a document. Note that you will want to ungroup any group that contains a text frame before you begin - TextStitch gives you visual feedback, "blackening" frames that are going to be included in the threaded story, but it doesn't black out threaded frames in groups, so if you want to be able to see what you are doing, then you'll have to ungroup.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 8:45 AM   in reply to Joel Cherney

Since I'm not familiar at all with translation tools, I had no idea what formats they accepted. BTW, the Articles panel affects the order of both Accessible PDF and EPUB files. Thanks for your knowlege on the issue!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 10:12 AM   in reply to Steve Werner

EPUB too? That makes sense. I should break down and make some EPUBs - I taught myself CSS for that exact reason, time to put it to use!

I have to say that I've never seen a translation tool do a consistently good job on PDFs because some of them do support PDF as an input format. And, FWIW, I assume that one of these days the Articles tool will let us sequence frames for automated translation of IDML files - I've stared at the raw IDML for long enough to know that the sequencing information is there, but the translation tools I've used or demoed have not yet been updated to use that information. Hope springs eternal...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 10:56 AM   in reply to Roborabbit

No, I'm pretty sure only PDF and EPUB.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers