Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Pattern background overlap

Aug 15, 2012 12:04 PM

I'm having problems creating pattern swatches in cs6, because I can't seem to solve the problem of  the background overlapping and hiding foreground shapes. I can make patterns without a background and I think I've worked out how to prevent the problem with a simple grid, but when I make a brick tile pattern, whichever overlap options I choose, at least one of the foreground shapes gets partly obscured by the overlapping background. I'm used to making seamless patterns in previous versions of Illustrator, by using guides and grids, then defining the pattern using a background rectangle but this option doesn't seem to be available in CS6, so if I can't solve the problem, it's back to CS5 :-(

Anyone else overcome this problem?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 15, 2012 10:44 PM   in reply to lizmint

I'm not sure I follow you. Can you post a screen image?

I have other issues with CS6 pattern tool, such as it's inability to save symbols or blends.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 16, 2012 11:07 AM   in reply to lizmint

Blends and symbols are expanded when exiting the pattern editor. To keep these items live, the pattern artwork must be converted to a symbol, then the symbol must be dragged back into the pattern editor when the pattern is re-opened. Why symbols are not maintained in a pattern is beyond me.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points