Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Is there a way to do "precision dragging" a la FCP?

Aug 14, 2012 12:49 PM

In FCP, when I drag a clip or edge on Timeline, I can press the Command key to enter a mode where it moves frame by frame. This is very useful when the Timeline is dense and the default drag can only move many frames at a time.

Is there an equivalent in Premiere Pro? The only other way would be to zoom out the Timeline first, do the drag, and probably zoom back in to resume work. That's too much trouble. And yes there are keyboard shortcuts that move a clip or edge frame by frame, but if I want to move a clip for exactly 2 seconds (60 frames), that's a loooooot of keystrokes AND I need to keep count. Dragging is so much easier.

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 14, 2012 1:20 PM   in reply to Zooropa75

To move by left by 2 seconds is as simple as -2:00 on the keyboard.  to move right by 2 seconds just type 2:00.  

How many fewer strokes would you like?

You can move left or right by as many hours/minutes/seconds/frames as you like just by typing a number.

If you know how many frames are in a second, you can even just type the frames and PP will work it out..... so if you're on a 25p timeline then typing -50 will move 2 seconds also.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 1:33 PM   in reply to Zooropa75

You can double click on the clip in the timeline and it will open it in the Source window. From there you can go the the in or out points (Q or W), move frame by frame, and then set the in/out point (I or O). If I need to clarify or explain anything further, please let me know!

Hope this helps!

-Barrett

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 2:07 PM   in reply to Zooropa75

Zooropa75 wrote:

I am a "precision editor" in that I often adjust the editing point to an exact frame (either audio or video).

As are we.... we do this a lot! 

We use the backslash key a LOT to zoom in and outof the timeline as needed, so when we need to get to frame precision we hit the backslash to zoom in to the "precision levels" the backslash to zoom backout again.  It's one key hit and gets us what we need.

If you need something different then by all means reuqest it.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 2:23 PM   in reply to Zooropa75

Zooropa75 wrote:

I also had to expand the audio tracks much taller in the Timeline so I can see the waveform well enough for editing...

Yup!   that's also why I'm editing on 30" display with as much resolution as I can get.  I often have several audio tracks massively expanded!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 2:34 PM   in reply to Zooropa75

Adobe really care and have provided multiple edit methods in CS6.

They include professional keyboard style techniques to the more mouse based edit methods. All multi functional to suit the user.  (Pro  / Am ) and somewhat configureable.

In your case: Here are a few suggestions

1. Use the Trim Monitor.  Set up the increments exactly how you wish but 1 frame is a Default.

2. You can also Ripple Trim (mouse style) in Trim Monitor as well. All the trim modes work in the Trim Monitor.

3. You can also numerically enter in the Trim Monitor.

4. In the timeline you can make 1 or many frame adjustments on the playback fly in Loop Mode. ("Play around Edit")

5. You can use the prior mentioned numerical entry method in the timeline.

6. You can also use "Edit to Playhead" in the sequence  using what ever Trim mode you want.  Fast and simple and precise..

7. Then you have CTRL - Left  and CTRL-Right for single frame precision editing in the timeline (SDhift-CTRL - Left and Shift-CTRL-Right for 5 frames or whatever you set)

How many precision moves could  one want...and I bet others could add even more methods that they like.

Counting frames seems pretty tedious and time consuming when there are so many ways of doing better and with more precision.  Mouse style editing is usually less precise than keyboard style editing because one does not need to expand the timeline at all.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 3:31 PM   in reply to Zooropa75

The short answer is, PP currently has no equivalent.  You'll have to adjust your work flow, or switch back to FCP.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 3:54 PM   in reply to Zooropa75

BTW, when using mouse style scrubbing in Trim Monitor, the amount of movement is NOT dynamically updated (it's only updated after mouse release). This is very annoying when I try to scrub back and forth... and is one reason I don't use this feature

Sorry... but I can use a Mouse Ripple or Rolling Edit in the Trim Monitor with single frame accuracy and the images updates dynamically and responsively on both sides of the Display (without releasing the mouse button).  The TC is also counting precisely same time.

The single frame Edit Button is actioned by a Key Mouse Click.

Both seem to be what you are asking Adobe for.

Interestingly...most FCP converts lamented the lack of keyboard shortcuts in earlier versions of PPRO.  THey got them and hen..you lament the lack of Mouse Methods.  First time for everything I guess.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 4:21 PM   in reply to Zooropa75

It's displayed on either side of the "-5 -1 / +1 +5" button bar. Do you see it? Does it update as you drag the mouse (and before mouse release)?

Those will never update.  Those are fixed buttons for you to click it you want to move by that amount of frames.  That is not a display of any sort of timecode.

The timecode for the clips are in big white numbers displayed over the clips themselves, not below.  And yes, they update as you drag.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 5:30 PM   in reply to Zooropa75

Oh, yeah, I see now.  Man they're small.  And you're right, they don't change while scrubbing.  But the timecode does, so...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 8:27 PM   in reply to Zooropa75

You must be regretting the change  to PPro.

Sorry we couldnt find a solution for you.

All you can do is put in a Feature  Request if you decide to suffer and stick with it.

The link is easily searcheable in this forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 8:54 PM   in reply to Zooropa75

If you used the shortcuts for a little while you wouldn't need to think about it anymore. It becomes second nature. However I do totally understand that it stinks during the time you are learning to edit this way. Because at first it takes quite a bit of thinking to get used to using shortcut keys instead of using the mouse. But after you get used to it, you would most likely start to like it.

Trust me though I totally understand your pain, because I used to edit with my mouse only other than to copy, paste, and cut. But after awhile of editing using shortcut keys that I customized to my liking using Premiere's keyboard shortcut settings I began to edit much faster than I ever did with a mouse. Although quite honestly I still do edit with my mouse more than a lot of the people I work with. Some of the people I work with do almost EVERYTHING on the keyboard. I'm about a 60/40 split depending on what I'm doing.

However I do realize though that the learning period is certainly not fun because during that period you have to stop and think a bit before you hit the correct key combo. After awhile though before you know it you realize you're suddenly hitting the right keys without any thought, it becomes second nature.

Anyways though to each his own.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2012 6:45 AM   in reply to ComputerNovice25

Do many people use a Contour Shuttle?, I have the 15 buttons set to all the keyboard shortcuts I use. Using that and a mouse I almost never touch the keyboard.

Richard

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2012 9:39 PM   in reply to Richard M Knight

Many ways to skin the cat in Premiere and most NLEs.

Thing is ...suggesting all the different ways and solutions  to the instransigent ...is a lost cause.

No surprises there. Adobe cant please everyone (despite me being well happy with CS6)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 10:11 AM   in reply to Zooropa75

There are lots of things you could do in FCP that you can't do in Premiere Pro.  simple things like Join Through Edit comes to mind as a really simple one...... but there are a lot more things that Premiere Pro does (and does brilliantly) that FCP either didn't do at all, or didn't do well.

I guess it's a case of weighing up the pros and cons and going with the one you like the most.

Both Adobe and Apple have feedback and request forms.  Who listens the most will always be a matter for debate.

The one that's REALLY bugging me at the moment is the lack of rippling markers when I delete something!   There seems little point in having a marker (inc chapter markers) if they don't stay with the timing of the footage as it's shortend.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 12:27 PM   in reply to ExactImage

What you are looking for is a global command equivalent for FCP's "gear down" behavior. With certain keystrokes, you could trim or move clips more slowly and precisely. This is what you really want, so make a feature request: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points